1100 EF overcharging issue...

we got the EF running again today , 

eaOqwkf.jpg

02SdqYo.jpg

apart from a few little niggles it seems to be running well, 

but it appears to be overcharging somewhat,  i have 14(ish) volts at 1500rpm then 15.5v  at around 3000rpm

the battery warning light on dash is also lit,  the bike already has an aftermarket reg'rec unit (electrix iirc), 

the bikes battery is fucked so we had it starting  of a jump pack , then running on its own - would/could a weak battery case those symptoms ??

cheers  :tu

I believe this model originally had a battery with a sensor, so the lack of that battery is probably triggering the battery light

no reason to buy one of those batteries, AGMs are a much better value

As everyone else says, get a new battery and restest the charging rate

• Like 3

i do actually have a .........spare wire :$ near the reg/rec area,

its a blue/green with with a small resistor / diode looking thing on the end and no apparent place for it to go to, 

in my defence i didnt strip the bike so have no idea what its for/where it goes lol !!!!!

Edited by 69chris

My Kwak based trike has a similar battery monitor that should have a graphite rod that dips into the acid - long since disappeared - so I just pushed a piece of SS welding rod through one of the filler caps connected the wire an my light went out! Wonder why Suzuki chose to call it a 'fluid level switch'. Still think that is a way of replacing the 'dip rod' - if you earth it does light on dash go out?

• Like 1

My EF, as bought, had a resistor in line with the redundant battery sensor. I assume it fools the magic monitoring light box so it doesn't trigger the battery warning light. My old bike didn't have that and the light was on permanently after I changed the battery. Can't tell you the resistor value at the moment as the bike is stored at my brother's but I can check next time I visit if needed.

cheers for advice fellas,  the new battery sorted the problem,

Mix1FTr.jpg

still have the battery light on so going to hide it under a bit of tape.......outta sight, outta mind right :)

and away back home it goes........

0EudIOC.jpg

oHEbgOo.jpg

cheers  all  :tu

Edited by 69chris
  • Like 2