When to fit a manual cam chain tensioner?

Racer-X

There isn't an actual 'point' when it makes sense! Use of lots of revs with frequent on and off the throttle can stress the OEM tensioner which can back out with all the consequences a slack chain brings...... so a manual tensioner that can't back out makes sense. OEM springs are cheap enough in the tensioner but a manual tensioner is fairly fool proof except over tightening. Otherwise not really needed - bit of a fashion statement like cam links - fit whatever you like!

• Like 2

I just recently did valve clearances on friends kwak 600 the tensioner was stuck solid. He has not got time or patience to keep on top of it so got him to buy stock new one. Seen this on Suzuks too. On my own engines always use manual but as said great care needed not to over tighten and need to regular check it as you would on any service, so as much as I would always use them need to look at owner of bike too.

• Like 1

Same as Jonny i use them more for peace of mind, i check valve clearnces regularly so its no extra work keeping on top of the tensioner too.

State of tune imho has no real effect on the tensioner, pretty much hardest its going to work is revving the engine  in neutral as thats when it will pickup the revs quickest.