Ape head nuts

Allspeeds

Just a quick one on ape head studs a nuts on a blandit/gsxr with the nuts being tall with a very deep flange on the bottom do you still use the standard steel washers when fitting the head?? Fitting instructions don’t say yes or no but it would make sense with the depth of the base being twice as thick making it the equivalent of the standard flange nut and washer any info would be great before I fit my head.

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

I'd say yes - use them. With GSXR's there are copper washers fitted (obviously for some peculiar reason!) which the APE nuts can't substitute! + it stops the nuts galling on the seating within the head.

Copper washers are on the studs that the oil ways pass up. Softer and Makes sure they seal properly and not bleed oil pressure off iirc

31 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Copper washers are on the studs that the oil ways pass up. Softer and Makes sure they seal properly and not bleed oil pressure off iirc

Yah mate I’ve got new copper washers for the ones that use because as you say there for a seal that wasn’t my thought it was more the steel washers as my thought was it would give you more thread use and was that why ape have mate the base of the nuts so thick?

Std nuts are about 12mm total thread length and can take about 25% over torque - the extra length with APE nuts can't clamp much more although with their studs the threads are less likely to pull. The extra length caters for block with spacer plates for stroke increases. Before APE nuts were commonly available ...... these suzuki items were usually used - #12!

13.gif