EFE exhaust collars

Jonny

37 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I had no problem with my GSX donkey in GS frame, what exhaust are you using? 

Long story. The exhaust is made by Exhaust Craft and fits the bike just fine. Because the new engine sits closer to the front of the bike than the original, the manifold needed it be made shorter to fit nicely on the bike.

I took it up to the rolling road this week and it is making less power then it should. The tester reckoned the bottleneck was the exhaust.

What I'm thinking is: the problem could be the bend at the top of the downpipes is too close to the head to let the exhaust gas out freely, so if I can get some extension collars and run it again, it would be a cheap way of finding out.

Jonny

I have a feeling you may be barking up the wrong tree here. Providing the bend is done properly, with no kinks or ripples and is a uniform shape and cross sectional area, it will make little or no difference. The exhaust gas is only "interested" in the length and diameter/area of a pipe, think of it like water flowing through a pipe, a flat spiral with no restrictions will flow the same as a straight pipe of the same length. If the problem is caused by a "bad" bend that is deformed on the inner radius due to the tightness of the bend you are not going to cure it by moving it further from the port. One caveat to this is if the length lost with the short bend has not been added the other end, throwing the tuned lengths out of sync with the state of tune of the engine.

What link pipe/can are you running ? any chance of some pics ?

Exhaust craft have been going for some years and look to make decent stuff so I doubt they will have screwed up but, if the exhaust is to blame, ask them how to sort it, they made it.

For reference, look at some of the pipe shapes on MotoGP bikes that run "V" engines. ( have a box of tissues handy )

• Like 1

Thanks chaps!

Here is a picture of the exhaust when the bike was at an early stage. I am sure that there is no mistake on the part of Exhaust Craft, just going on what was said on the test day. There is no link pipe as such - the downpipes meet in a flat collector box and from there is one pipe all the way. Beatiful and light! ;)

The engine has had a 1230 Wiseco kit fitted and is running K&N pods. The main jets are 155 and the needles raised a notch. Mixture-wise it is bang on, but I'm only getting 102 hp at the rear wheel and I was expecting about 120, as it made about 100 as standard. Cams and head are std, carbs are BST36s.

DSC_0470.JPG

13 hours ago, Jonny said:

The engine has had a 1230 Wiseco kit fitted

Did you fit the wiseco yourself? ( just checking in case youve been roasted by a seller) also if deffo a 1230, maybe the carbs are undersized?. I would say the pipe is not the problem. Pipe looks great and bends are not your problem.......

26 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Did you fit the wiseco yourself? ( just checking in case youve been roasted by a seller) also if deffo a 1230, maybe the carbs are undersized?. I would say the pipe is not the problem. Pipe looks great and bends are not your problem.......

The Wiseco pistons weren't fitted by me, I bought the engine as it was but have no doubt that it is a 1230 kit. The guy I bought it from was a Suzuki mechanic and raced the engine. I have pictures of it that I took and North Weald a few months before I bought it from him. ;)