Lockhart Oil Cooler Adapter Plate

Why not use the 1150 oil filter cover and replace the blanking bungs each side of the filter housing with AN fittings? I've always wondered why people do the aftermarket setups (especially the JDM style of running lines from the pressure switch around the side of the motor to the cooler) when the Factory setup is so clean and simple.

Found the pic on google. I see no advantage of that over the 1150/EFE style setup - if anything, more of a pain in the arse to change a filter because the lines stop you putting a socket on two of the acorn nuts, and make it hard to get in on another two.

Screw in a pair of M14x1.5 to An-6 or AN-8 adaptors and be done with it.

There is a chance I *may* have the Lockhart (Derale?) oil filter adapter plate in question. It was originally installed on the 1100 engine I sourced for my old Kat many years ago. Here's a (tiny) picture I once took of the inside of the plate for further reference.

130oliefilterdeksel.jpg

I'm not sure if I still have it or whether I sold it along with the small oil cooler in the kit some time ago. But if you absolutely want it I can try and find it in one of the piles of parts in my "workshop". I agree with Gammaboy though on the benefits of using the oil take offs on either side of the filter cover instead of using the adapter plate, and that is how I changed my oil cooler setup years ago. (I swapped the 90 deg fittings for blanking plugs.) Also I thought these fittings were rather undersized and so perhaps would limit the oil flow to the cooler.

4 hours ago, Spirit said:

Arnout, all good thoughts. Where did you get the proper size outlets to plumb the openings? Just a set of right-angle metrics? 

The blanking plugs you mean? I picked those up from a local DIY store reckoning the threads would be some kind of industrial tapered plumbing type. So no normal metric threads from what I remember, but it's all a very long time ago.

I thought I had saved those original 90 deg fittings somewhere, but they're not in the place I expected to find them. Which doesn't bode well for the adapter plate still being in my possession. But I'm not going to look for the plate unless you are really interested as I'd have to search through heavy crates packed with engine parts that are hidden behind other difficult to get to stuff. So I'm actually kinda hoping you'll be able to locate such a plate on Eblag or similar. :D

15 hours ago, E T said:

Have a look on e-blag   two wheel spare, in stoke . I woud have had it for my ET but the cunts want nesr £20  to post it up hete >:(

Yep, they vary between a bit more expensive than reasonable to wanting top dollar for a pile of rust. I only buy stuff from them when all other alternatives have been exhausted:(

Arnout, I was talking about the actual fittings going from the oil outlet to the hose leading to the cooler.  Same dimensions?  I have one Lockhart plate that I will use on my Katana but I want to put a better cooler on my 1150. M14x1.5 still? 

I was planning on using an Earl's 13 row cooler on both machines and I see that I can get Earl's anodized 14mm to AN6 adapters...I think that will be my route. Thanks to all, it was inspirational.  I'll send pictures of both projects when finished. 

On 7/7/2018 at 6:57 PM, Spirit said:

Arnout, I was talking about the actual fittings going from the oil outlet to the hose leading to the cooler.  Same dimensions?  I have one Lockhart plate that I will use on my Katana but I want to put a better cooler on my 1150. M14x1.5 still? 

The original 90 deg fittings on my Lockhart?/Derale (it said on the cooler) adapter plate were the push-on type. Connections on the oil cooler were push-on too.