Cylinder head/oil temp access point

Spirit

I presently have a temperature sender in one of the top end side cylinder bolts on my 1986 GXR1100. In 2018 I am going to fit new cams and with them a top end oiler kit from APE. Is there another point where I can attach the sender, since the oiler access is the same place where I now have my sender attached?

I am not sure what APE's top end oiler kits look like but make sure you do not fit a kit connecting the cooling channels with the pressure/oiling channels, i.e. a kit that draws oil from the cylinder head cover to the cam shaft ends. The only proper source of additional oil supply to the cams is the oil gallery underneath the crank. 

Personally i'd want to know the temp of oil in the sump so would put sender there - the pump and galleries up to the head add heat.

Re : the linked cam oil source - who cares where it comes from, use whatever you want.........the most powerful GSXR UK streetbike  takes oil from the head cooling gallery - just saying ;) 9_9

Tapping into the oil cooling system for cam oil supply is useful on engines with e.g. big block cylinders (where the cylinder block internal oil passages are non-existent, or restricted), but otherwise there is no reason for having them. In theory, you actually lower the oil pressure when connecting the cooling system with the oiling system. How much diffference it makes in real life is debatable (since people obviously use them, without major disasters reported), but it certainly doesn't make oiling better. 

Edited by Nik
1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Personally i'd want to know the temp of oil in the sump so would put sender there - the pump and galleries up to the head add heat.

Re : the linked cam oil source - who cares where it comes from, use whatever you want.........the most powerful GSXR UK streetbike  takes oil from the head cooling gallery - just saying ;) 9_9

I'm with you, put your temp sender at the bottom end.

As for the top end kit, Mrs W has had one in her gsxr1100 for years with no problems :) the oil cooled motors run with a much better pressure than the old air cooled bikes did to the point of more than needed with normal running, so putting top end cooled kits and head coolers without increasing the pump out put is not a problem for the oil cooled motors.

Just my bit ;)

23 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

Top oil temp is the critical thing for power. 

Agreed - but measuring the oil flow to / at the cylinder head isn't the same as measuring the temp AFTER the head when its hottest. All that HOT oil flows back to the sump including hot oil via the clutch and the gearbox. A few cc's of cooled oil at the bearings may seem good but if the oil is being cooked through the rest of the engine its not so good - just my opinion!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Gixer1460 said:

Agreed - but measuring the oil flow to / at the cylinder head isn't the same as measuring the temp AFTER the head when its hottest. All that HOT oil flows back to the sump including hot oil via the clutch and the gearbox. A few cc's of cooled oil at the bearings may seem good but if the oil is being cooked through the rest of the engine its not so good - just my opinion!

I agree. but if you have the head temps under control the chances are the rest of the oil is adequately cooled too.

• Like 1