clutch questions

Fjbj40

Working on my 1000.

I was noticing last year my clutch was slipping at about 6000. So I tore into it this week and the fibres measure pretty close to new as per the manual(y). The steels and springs also measure well as per the manual.

Another thing I noted last year was shudder when letting out the clutch, more prominent when hot.

When I was inspecting the steels, I noticed there seemed to be shiny spots at various areas on all steels. No bluing anywhere. I read that if you put the steels together and can see light between them they are fooked! Well I can see light between them but when I put them on a piece of glass, me surface plate, I can't get the specified feeler, for failing, as per the manual, under it.

So would the steels be NFG if they have those shiny areas on them? And would that be the cause of my shuddering and slipping?

Thanks in advance gents:pimp:

Very minor grooves in either. I dressed them out while building the engine. Basically normal wear, they can be barely felt with the finger nail. I would assume this is fine?

If not then it is time to upgrade to the GSX modded basket:tu, when funds are availableO.o

9 minutes ago, Screwriverracing said:

Try shotblasting them first, when they are rough they grip the fibres better. Also what are you clutch springs like?

Cheers SRR

Shouldn't need that level of surface finish, brown Scotchbrite at most even it burnt up and blued (needs must on occasion! ) - shiney plates are fine and will hold daft power as long as pack is correct thickness / steels are flat / and springs have correct tension. What make of fibres are you using?

2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Shouldn't need that level of surface finish, brown Scotchbrite at most even it burnt up and blued (needs must on occasion! ) - shiney plates are fine and will hold daft power as long as pack is correct thickness / steels are flat / and springs have correct tension. What make of fibres are you using?

Appers to be factory fibres. They are aluminum, a lot of the aftermarkets are steel which destroy the basket, what I have been told anyways.

The springs are 1/2 a mm taller than the minimum requirement. I plan on putting in new springs as they are only a few $ each. However, I have some GS1150 springs here with 35000 km on them and they measure 3/4 mm taller than the ones in there now so thinking of trying them also.

So, brown scotchbrite the steels before install? 

That's all I used to do for a 7 second Funnybike! - Scotchbrite and brake cleaner.

Getting all logical - a clutch is designed to slip, if any part of its operation or movement isn't smooth or slick, then it'll judder and or slip. If slipping under full engagement, it can only be spring pressure / a warped steel or steels / glazed or contaminated fibres or mechanical wear preventing correct engagement. What oil? not a fully synth hopefully!

On 27/03/2018 at 12:17 AM, Fjbj40 said:

Great, thanks for the reply. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and spend the money!

I would. You don't need heavy duty springs or anything else, you just need stock parts in reasonable condition.

Try the scotchbrite thing as Gixer1460 mentioned, and check they're perfectly flat.

Also, try and buy the parts second hand. I've bought complete clutches in the past for less than a set of steel plates new.