GSXR1127 front oil drain pipes

matt

Hi all, just finished putting my 1100 engine back together after putting new rings in and sorting out some leaking valves, fired it up only to find one of the front oil drain pipes leaking, bugger!!

I did use new O-rings when I re-installed them, however they were a right pain to get back in, so can only think I have damaged the new O-rings.

I have got some new ones on the way, luckily Robinsons are currently knocking them out at £1.30, so hope to get the head off and re-assemble it all over the long weekend.

Is there a trick to get them back in? The manual mentions applying Suzuki A grease, is this some super slippy stuff?, I used a smear of the standard Castrol LM.

I was wondering whether sticking them in the freezer for a bit may help?

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.

Edited by matt

You could try putting a very slight 'lead-in' on the casing with a decent scraper. Also, I would go for a smear of Red Rubber Grease on the ring on assembly. Ordinary grease may be petroleum based, and attack the o ring. Then you're back where you started!

Edited by Swiss Toni
11 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Ordinary grease may be petroleum based, and attack the I ring. Then you're back where you started!

would have thought that they are petroleum resistant, due to the fact that they are in contact constantly with petroleum

based products from the word go! 

I've got some red rubber grease, I'll give it a go when I put it back together.

I think they may already be a slight taper on those holes, they seemed pretty tight though, maybe the O-ring got pushed out of its groove on the way in.

Cheers.

I bought a Dot head motor in boxes recently. Everything's there, apart from a few bits and bobs. I did notice however, the PO must have had a job getting the drain pipes out, as the ends were deformed. Too far gone to be able to repair. Suzuki have them discounted, in their Vintage Parts sale.  Nice!  You better be quick boys, it's only on for a few more days!

I certainly had a bit of a job getting mine out, but the ends looked OK, I'll check them when they are out again.

I just checked the price for new ones and if £33 is the discounted price, how much are they normally?

Edited by matt
17 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

I bought a Dot head motor in boxes recently. Everything's there, apart from a few bits and bobs. I did notice however, the PO must have had a job getting the drain pipes out, as the ends were deformed. Too far gone to be able to repair. Suzuki have them discounted, in their Vintage Parts sale.  Nice!  You better be quick boys, it's only on for a few more days!

It seems to have been like that for a while now, a bit like DFSO.o

Edited by Dezza