Tune up checklist

scott-s

While I have the engine out, there's no better time to adjust the valves.

Do you replace the valve cover gaskets and the four gaskets under the spark plug holes every time?

I watched a video online and he smeared a thin coat of sealant on the gaskets/sealing surfaces. Thoughts on this?

I also removed the oil cooler to pull the engine. Should I always replace the two o-rings and crush washers?

Any other tips or tricks while I'm in there?

As said above if rubber seal is still soft you can reuse it, I don't like using gasket sealer but if you clean all surfaces you could put a small smeer on the half moons (seen so meany engines with strings of sealants around the oil filter strainer)

Always replace the oil line crush washers and for the cost the o-rings ;)

Can someone walk me through the cam chain tensioner?

I picked up a manual and it only covers the removal, disassembly, reassembly and installation.

Surely there's just a normal adjustment procedure? Or, does the adjustment require removing it? That seems a little out of the ordinary to me.

What's the normal "tune up" adjustment for the cam chain tensioner?

If this is a GSXR based engine there is no 'adjustment procedure'. Once the cams are in and chain mounted, the plunger is pushed in to tension by holding the 'locker' block up. Rotate the inlet cam to tension chain and guide and insert the adjuster, then the chain can be slackened by opp. rotating the cam and the adjustment plunger will extend automatically to remove the slack. Rotate the crank a couple of times - making sure the cam timing is correct first - so all slack is taken up. That's it, as slack occurs the plunger extends one notch at a time to remove it and the locker block stops it backing off! BTW only done this twice - all my engines get manual adjusters eventually!