Light switch on, electrics power off, daylight only, bugger

richyrich

Fun little problem thats fried my brain.  Go to work, saddle up in the dark. Starts ok, sidelights on ok, main beam or pass switch....everything stops.

I can keep doing this over and over.  Checked all the connections then went to Get petrol on sidelights.  Thinking thered be lots of light to check it better, but no its closed.  Ride back up hill, didnt realise Vacuum pipe fell off, pushed it back up grrr

So cab to work.  Then today remade headlight earth connectors. But still fucked aaarrgh. Left the headlight off while pondering the circuit....

Et voila, as i write this, bastad works again

Fucking damp in headlight bowl is all i can think off. 

It was the bad headlight earth, the join had complete come apart, probly with my checking in the dark.. Its been running fine in the rain, headlight or not, ever since.

I wanted to share the pain with you all. I appreciate the practical responses. But it cant be just me that has these crazy episodes.  U know where a tiny problem Gets well out of hand and you end up having to push or walk. Probly in the rain or dark or both.  no-one appreciates the grief and the stress. Then the problem dissapears and you wonder did i dream walking five miles for fuel or whatever.

What was interesting here was that even after remaking the bad earth.  The light switch still cut all power  until i tried to demonstrate this to my colleague. Then it was fine.

I suppose this means theres still a short if it Gets a soaking.  fuckit tho for now. I really dont think theres a relay either 

If you look at the wires you find most of them are now black almost impossible to solder and dont join too well. Also you see a post years ago which has being re written many times i did about charging circuit which is complete suzuki insight failure.

I think most of us on here with projects have junked the stock loom and made our own its basic loom at end of day but still can be simplified. Looms very time comsuming things to do but worth it and if using dyna ignition then you can split loom into ignition and seperate the rest.

Edited by jonny1bump
  • Like 2