Charging System

17 hours ago, melkweg said:

I don't know about your particular bike, but some run wiring through light switch and this is quite often the problem.

Good call. I see modifying the stock wiring and bypassing the light switch as a matter of "goes without saying", but of course it still needs to be mentioned.

On 09/09/2017 at 11:55 AM, Bubba1135 said:

True but character can wear a bit thin sometimes, new one on order will see how that goes

Indeed.. I say preserve the "character" you like (looks, sounds&smells, grunt, no frills, mechanical feel) and get rid of the "character" you don't. (crappy tyres, crappy brakes, crappy electronics, crappy suspension)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, arnout said:

Good call. I see modifying the stock wiring and bypassing the light switch as a matter of "goes without saying", but of course it still needs to be mentioned.

Indeed.. I say preserve the "character" you like (looks, sounds&smells, grunt, no frills, mechanical feel) and get rid of the "character" you don't. (crappy tyres, crappy brakes, crappy electronics, crappy suspension)

I did almost all of the above years ago just don't seem to have the patìence for it any more.

Thank Arnout.

I have three yellow wires from my generator, electrex unit.

I can find which two come from RR though and join  the third wire to the RR. 
Why do they run that wire through the lighting switch anyway?

Thanks for the info, hope it solves my problem.

Edited by Pete750ET
  • 2 weeks later...

suzuki had this bright idea that when an engine was running and the lights were off, the 3 phases of the genny wouldnt be needed, so they used 2 to charge the battery and the third phase went through the switch in order to boost charging when the lights were on. it was all bollocks btw, and reg recs were always a weak spot in the uk, not as much of an issue suffered by bikes used in nations where daytime lights were compulsory, cos all 3 phases were always in use. it was dafe, but not a massive issue when you compare it to hondas comedy camchains from the same era.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Finally got to the bottom of my charging issue.

New Electrex RR fitted now charging at 13.8V, but lights still dim.

Stripped every connector, cleaned pins as best I could and sprayed with contact cleaner. Still the same.

Wiring mod had been done, all three generator outputs feed into RR.

Cleaned frame and engine earths, still not right.

Friend said it would be the battery. Was skeptical as it's not too old. Swapped nearly new battery off my other ET, and guess what, no dimming of lights. So problem was battery, even though it holds a charge fine.

So all sorted. Thanks all for your suggestions and advice (y)

Edited by Pete750ET
  • Like 2