Engine Numbers

1 hour ago, kja.busa said:

Quick question, is there a way of identifying an engine model from the actual engine number? If you were looking for an "M" model engine how would you know it was an "M" ?

Can be done with numbers but there are cross overs, Easiest way is look at cams - screw and lock nut NOT an 1100 or 750 M or N - they both have 16 rockers and shim adjustment

• Like 1

I was an oil cooled ignoramus until I got one last year and it soon becomes apparent - 1052 cc is g,h,j; 1127 k-n but 1127 screw and locknut valves is k,l whereas 1127 shim valves is m,n; and if it has a naff diaphragm clutch it's a blandit or something like thatO.o Problem is some of the 750 and 1100 engine parts are interchangeable so a hybrid motor can be difficult to identify unless someone has past experience of the bits involved. I soon became aware of this as my engine is some sort of 750/1100 chimera

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

and if it has shaft final drive it's a GSX1100G :v

If it has a shaft final drive it's a dispatch bike/2 wheeled caravan puller and is unlikely to feature much on this websitexD

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1