Dyna coil - 1150 - running igniter - mini or standard

I have purchased a 1230 Kat race bike, bike runs great, the bike has Dyna mini coils DC1-2 and the old Kat ignition system, not CDI. Is this ok long term? Plan is to use motor on the road.

See note below from Dyna regarding mini coils......... I also have a set of Dyna Ignition Coils 3 ohm Dual Output DC1-1 Wires DW-200 Suzuki GS1150.

Should i stick with the mini coils or change to the big green jobs? Next option is up grading the ignition to CDI or Dyna 2000. Is the effort worth while? If I keep the mini coils do i need to change the ignition as stated?

I will post a picture of current ignition setup tomorrow.

The engine has no charging system so a new stator is required... what is recommended?

Thanks

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not use these 3 ohm mini coils with the Dyna S ignition. They will overheat and the ignition and coils may be destroyed.

Dynatek recommends the 5 ohm coils with stock points ignitions and the Dyna S ignition for all Gurls blouse SOHC 4 cylinder bikes from the 70's

NOTE:When choosing the right coil for your bike, never select a coil with a lower resistance than your ignition system, this will cause the coils to overheat and burn out. It's OK to select coils with a slightly higher resistance. For example 3.0 ohm coils with a 1.5 ohm CDI ignition. While this isn't optimal, it works and allows you to switch your CDI ignition over to a Dyna-S in the future. 

download.jpg

20170531_204100.jpg

Edited by Dukeman
  • 5 years later...

I guess that note is because the Dyna-S may keep the coil continuosly powered while ignition is on and the engine isn't running. Depending on what position the engine has stopped. And if I recall correctly the stock Suzuki ignition with mechanical advancer can do the same.

So when the coil stays powered for longer period, like several minutes, it can get pretty warm. All the 3 Ohm coils will generate roughly same amount of heat in this situation but since those mini coils are physically smaller they dissipate less heat and get hotter. And apparently they can get too hot and damaged.

• Like 3