Smoke on cold start

Sheep

Ok,..probably being paranoid but I have done roughly 350 miles on a new forged 1230 motor in the old EFE,on its second mineral oil change to date,carbs running almost perfect,ran at various speeds through the 'box,acceleration and throttle-shut blah-de-blah...in fact I haven't been pampering it but simply using it sensibly but a little harder recently as it seems to be getting smoother and 'settling' in.(Probably no more than 7500rpm so far).Compression reads 160 psi give or take 5 in all four

I know recommendation say 500 miles or so for run in but I thought I'd ask now but in an earlier post I mentioned I was experiencing blue/white smoke on cold start-ups which mainly point to valve seals but everything from the barrels up have been renewed including APE seals.It does not smoke for the first 2-3 seconds but then a bluey smoke emits from the pipe after that for around 15-20 seconds at a guess.I normally pull away soon after starting as not to annoy the neighbours and I leave a small cloud behind me but by the time I have ridden 50 yards its all but cleared up.It does not smoke after that unless I rev the motor when stationary but then its dark grey (fuel) and only then very slightly.I see nothing at all behind me when riding.

I guess I could have damaged a seal when putting them on which if it is that then I am not worried really but do you any of you peeps think its anything else...Katamangler did say it could be simply the forged pistons which I have heard/read about on various other bike/forums which makes sense..it is using oil at the moment but then it would do if its burning it...the first oil change showed no swarf/debris but a little pearl which I'm told is normal.

Am I just worrying about nothing or should I give it more time??...(I will consider pushing the bike away from campers at Donny as not to smoke you out :banana:)

I did look down the plugs on one occasion Wraith before starting it and found some oil on the  (MTC) piston crowns,3 and 1 if I remember correctly.It was not pooling but more of a thin layer on top.However,next time I rode it and cooled it I noticed the crowns were dry,well,the ones I could see as I had the tank on this time.I did have a little caked on dross on the plug of #3 and I noticed a touch of white soot in the exhaust port which could be a sign of burnt anti-freeze (not applicable) or other non fuel burn off,well that's what the 'net says lol...

I wonder if I removed the plug lead from the suspect cylinder before start up would help ie it wouldn't burn the oil if no fire present...but that will only work if I knew exactly which set of valves were weeping,if any....

I'd say its a bit early to diagnose a fault, personally i'd lean on it a bit more to get the rings sealing - I bought a 10 year old / 7000 mile old bike that had glazed bores as it had been 'baby treated' when running in and always smoked on start up - after a couple of years abuse and stretched oil changes it slowly came round and stopped smoking and using oil - 45000 miles up! Wiseco rings seem more susceptible to sealing / wear in my experience. APE seals are good, not as good as OEM but shouldn't be bad after 350 miles running. Rag it a bit and report back?

• Like 1

I reckon I have been using it right,I used it like you said Katanamanger,normally and not letting it labour....I actually thought I have been TOO keen to twist the wrist...mind you it does seem to running better the more I use it...Maybe I am being paranoid....I don't need any more excuse to give it some...Since having it back on the road I haven't stopped grinning!

• Like 1