A friend has a '94 RF600R that he parted out a while back and sold the engine out of. Most everything else is there sitting on shelves in a semi-trailer on his farm which got me thinking about what could be done with it all.

I've heard of RF900R engines being put in 600 frames, as well as GSXR-1100 engines being thrown into 900 frames (using the narrower RF head, of course) so I'm wondering how tough it would be to put a GSXR1100 bottom end with an RF900 head into the RF600 frame. Could be a potent combination, or a total frankenbike...

Anyone with experience in RF swaps here? Love to get your thoughts. 

The main frame is the same for the 600 and the 900, I think they use different brackets on the top of the engine though.

Engine cases are the same fitment for the gsxr 1100/750 and rf 900/600 but as you say you'll need an rf9 head and carbs.

You'll also need to modify a couple of waterway between the barrels and head but I dont think thats too much of a problem.

Guy called Martin done an rf1100 that came out real nice but I'm not sure if he's registered on here.

8 hours ago, Danm54 said:

The main frame is the same for the 600 and the 900, I think they use different brackets on the top of the engine though.

Engine cases are the same fitment for the gsxr 1100/750 and rf 900/600 but as you say you'll need an rf9 head and carbs.

You'll also need to modify a couple of waterway between the barrels and head but I dont think thats too much of a problem.

Guy called Martin done an rf1100 that came out real nice but I'm not sure if he's registered on here.

I've seen Martin's bike in a couple of magazines. Conveniently, he lives across the straight from me in Vancouver so it wouldn't be a job to go see him... thanks for reminding me of him!

11 hours ago, Rene EFE said:

I gave it a quick glance and looks to be done with just plates between the engine and the tabs on the frame, hardly proper engineering.

Lol - not too many engine swaps really are - I went looking for how they convert SRADs to take a 1000 - keep the bottom rear mount, bodge the rest seems the standard! :S