wobbles !

dundee

I have a GSX1100 et and at speed 80+ it gets a wobble or more of a weave going , it's controllable but not cool , my son was following and he noticed how bad it is, with the wife on the back and its not there ? is there any set up tricks for these old girls ? (not the wife) 

cheers

chris  

thanks for the replies fellas, i have tightened up the swing up bolt, greased up not long back with the head stems , uped the tyre pressures on 2 new tyres , not matching but work very well on another popular Japanese motorcycle starting with Y,  nipped up the head stem bearings , adjusted the chain so the wheel is straight , put a string line from the front wheel to the back to check alignment  , wheel isnt buckled , bike has only done 3000 miles from new as it was stored for 35 years. i have fitted IKON shocks that seems to have made it worse ? as the standard shocks 2 up had us scrapping around corners with out riding mental, and as i have mentioned loaded up with gear and the wife there is no problems with wobbles?? we, me my son and a mate are off to germany in the afternoon to do a dam buster tour  so see how it goes.  it will keep me from going stupid at least .

cheers

chris

IMG_2288.JPG

• Like 2

You say that the Ikon shocks cured a ground clearance issue, are they slightly longer or at least stiffer thus raising the rear and steepening the head angle making it a bit more sensitive ? Beware of over tightening the head bearings as this can lead to rider input causing a weave as you ( subconsciously ) try to correct it. 

• Like 1

thanks for the great info blue dog , the shocks were about 4mm shorter than the standard ones but are stiffer as i ordered the heavier springs so it looks like i have steepened the steering angle to much , i might go for the standard spring rate ikon spring. the shocks are great as when you hit a hole in the road, it jolts the front forks and then you wonder if you have even hit the hole with the back wheel as it just soaks up the bump , very impressed.