Cam chain rattle??

Ok so I have just built up my 1216 engine. With some faffing with the timing......

now I have it running and its long smoothly with everything correctly done according to mr HAYNES.

now when I Rev it, there is a rattle coming from the cam cover. Is this the cam chain?? I have done the auto chain tensioner how it should be.

i read on the internet that these things sometimes stick, it ratcheted out when I turned the engine over by a 19mm spanner.

is it correct in thinking it could be stuck between teeth and I should back the bolts out either side of the tensioner until it clicks, then tighten again??  Or am I thinking it is something completely different from the actual problem?? 

Thanks guys!!

49 minutes ago, majortom4 said:

It didn't make the noise when it was standard pistons in so the clearances shouldn't have changed correct?? Or could they??

No noise when standard but noise now with taller? pistons, closer valve - piston clearances? and possibly incorrect cam timing? and there's lots of reasons for noises! What engine is it, would be a start for diagnosis?

Bandit 1200 (now 1216) turbo. 1998.

had engine out, re bored and built back up. Starts and runs nicely but has the rattling noise. Checked can chain and seems taught, checked timing 1000000 times and is spot on.

just been moving the rocker arms and they have slight up and down movement (maybe 1mm) on all but 1.

could this be coursing the noise? I haven't touched them tho just cams off and back in again so don't know how they could have moved.....

1 hour ago, majortom4 said:

Bandit 1200 (now 1216) turbo. 1998.

had engine out, re bored and built back up. Starts and runs nicely but has the rattling noise. Checked can chain and seems taught, checked timing 1000000 times and is spot on.

just been moving the rocker arms and they have slight up and down movement (maybe 1mm) on all but 1.

could this be coursing the noise? I haven't touched them tho just cams off and back in again so don't know how they could have moved.....

Valve clearance should be ...0.08 -0.13mm    with engine cold.....

If you have a Haynes then the method is in there .............

2 minutes ago, Reinhoud said:

I didn't read everything; Make sure your engine won't fire up, let the engine turn over,  untighten the screw so the automatic tensioner will tighten your can chain tensioner. Then let the screw go/loose.

Tensioner should be set right.

If it still rattles, tensioner is f@cked, or you need te replace cam chain.

A manual cam chain tensioner is not a bad idea.

Fixed it buddy :-) 

dont know what was wrong in the end haha took off and put back all cams etc and it stopped rattling

31 minutes ago, Reinhoud said:

The info I gave wasn't right. An automatic tensioner should go tighter when there is a loose part in the cam chain. When you you loosen the screw of the tensioner, the tensioner should be able to go less tight..

It won't go 'less tight' as the ratchet will hold it static but you will lose spring tension against the plunger. If its just one click you want then loosen the two mounting screws so whole tensioner backs off by a mm which is about one click on the ratchet - you could bollux the gasket if its never been removed since being built!