Modern Carbs for 1979 GS750E

Hi Gang,

It's been quite a while since I've been in here, been busy with life and I had to put my project bike on hold for a while.

My daily rider (1979 GS750E) is still on the road but I've completely had it with the original carbs she came with.

I'm done rebuilding them, rejecting them, re-everything with them and I just want a set of modern carbs on the bike.....full stop.

I purchased a set of Keihin 29mm CR carbs from Dynoman Performance (please see pics & info) but a rep from the company reached out to me after looking at the pictures he asked for that the cam chain tensioner is too big and that it will be in the way of the Keihin CR carbs, and they won't fit properly.

I'm absolutely sure the guy knows what he's talking about, but every site that sells these carbs, and every article on them all over the webs says that they "will" fit on my 79 750.

Please review the pics and info below and let me know if I should ignore this cat and get the carbs, or stay away from them.

If they won't fit properly, what other modern Keihin's or modern Mikuni's will?

No, I'm done with the original carbs, and they're NOT going back on the bike.

As usual thanks in advance for all the help & assistance....

Theses are the carbs I bought that the rep is telling me won't fit because of the cam chain tensioner:

SuzukiCarbs.thumb.jpg.f5b9120aca261f6791aa4e9334469f5d.jpg

These are pics of the bike before and after I ripped the tank & old carbs off:

20200516_160056-Copy.thumb.jpg.6ed4a1015e3d29d8a2f1e1794108bce9.jpg

20200516_160133-Copy.thumb.jpg.971db01229fda14053fdcc83e2e4844f.jpg

IMG_2474.thumb.jpg.28e45c1cafa39b1f663d8457c7a123dc.jpg

IMG_2475.thumb.jpg.3e41d824adba088bf667fcf316b633f3.jpg

20200516_160054 - Copy.jpg

The problem he's referring to is the centre throttle mechanism. It's likely to foul on the tensioner. I'd try them on and see to check. 

If it does catch then the cheapest, and I would suggest easiest, option is as @DAZsuggested try a manual cam chain tensioner. Failing that you want the same carbs but with the throttle mechanism on the end. I don't know about these specifically, but for the likes of Mikuni you can get all the bits to convert from or to centre mechanism. 

• Like 2

Can the the throttle mechanism be moved so it's outboard of the bank on the left or between 1 and 2, or 3 and 4? I had to do this with a set of RSs to squeeze them in to a non-stock frame. CRs are performance carbs so I wouldn't be surprised if this is possible.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, imago said:

The problem he's referring to is the centre throttle mechanism. It's likely to foul on the tensioner. I'd try them on and see to check. 

If it does catch then the cheapest, and I would suggest easiest, option is as @DAZsuggested try a manual cam chain tensioner. Failing that you want the same carbs but with the throttle mechanism on the end. I don't know about these specifically, but for the likes of Mikuni you can get all the bits to convert from or to centre mechanism. 

Yes, I've looked into a manual cam chain tensioner, but all the ones I'm finding have a two bolt base and as you can see in the picture I provided, mine has a "three bolt" base. I'm not sure if that makes a difference but that's my dilemma. If one of you guys could point me in the right direction to get a manual cam chain tensioner that has a three bolt base that would line up to where my bolt holes are that would be great.....

CamChainTensioner.thumb.jpg.6c24c8cb867c950b59731b2f3048c985.jpg

All the ones I'm finding on the internet look like this..

PSRManualCamChainTensioner.jpg.f1f7fa95ddb4f904aae6a360f3ebdf70.jpg

3 hours ago, Dezza said:

Can the the throttle mechanism be moved so it's outboard of the bank on the left or between 1 and 2, or 3 and 4? I had to do this with a set of RSs to squeeze them in to a non-stock frame. CRs are performance carbs so I wouldn't be surprised if this is possible.

Thanks, I've reached out to the rep at the company and I've asked him in the throttle linkage could be moved to the end.

If it can't, would you happen to know the model number of the modern Mikuni's to fit a 79 GS750, where the throttle linkage could be moved to the end?

1 hour ago, Neveragain55 said:

Yes, I've looked into a manual cam chain tensioner, but all the ones I'm finding have a two bolt base and as you can see in the picture I provided, mine has a "three bolt" base. I'm not sure if that makes a difference but that's my dilemma. If one of you guys could point me in the right direction to get a manual cam chain tensioner that has a three bolt base that would line up to where my bolt holes are that would be great.....

CamChainTensioner.thumb.jpg.6c24c8cb867c950b59731b2f3048c985.jpg

All the ones I'm finding on the internet look like this..

PSRManualCamChainTensioner.jpg.f1f7fa95ddb4f904aae6a360f3ebdf70.jpg

It depends on the amount of work you want to get into, but an adapter plate would be simple enough to make. A piece of 8mm plate cut to match the three bolt base with two holes tapped into it to take the 'normal' two bolt tensioner.

1 hour ago, Neveragain55 said:

Thanks, I've reached out to the rep at the company and I've asked him in the throttle linkage could be moved to the end.

If it can't, would you happen to know the model number of the modern Mikuni's to fit a 79 GS750, where the throttle linkage could be moved to the end?

Call Allens Performance, Bingham, Nottingham. They are performance carb gurus and can probably tell you what is needed to mount CRs on a particular engine.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, imago said:

It depends on the amount of work you want to get into, but an adapter plate would be simple enough to make. A piece of 8mm plate cut to match the three bolt base with two holes tapped into it to take the 'normal' two bolt tensioner.

I just found these, what do you think......????

The add says that it's for the 77 to 79 GS750 bikes...

CamChainTensioner(4).thumb.jpg.82fd6290a9696d989e7a29b241aa3093.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like it's the right one to me. I'd offer the carbs up before you buy one though,check how much room you have and what fouls on the stock adjuster to be sure buying a manual one will solve the problem.

• Like 1