GSXR 750M shock adjustment

Lately I’ve been working on the setup of my forks and been pretty happy so far, but my shock has always been a bit on the stiff side, especially when hitting large bumps at speed. Likes to knock me off the seat. Pulled out my 88-91(92) Suzuki factory service manual, and they have a few sections on setting up the forks and general guidelines for settings for them. In the entire binder I found one place where it mentioned setting up the shock, and that only referenced another section on setting up the forks. No information at all on adjusting it. 

Went out to the garage and looked at the remote canister for the shock, found one screw on the side that was all the way in, backed that out 3 clicks and it’s a bit softer. I’m assuming that’s damping, do these have rebound, and if so, where? Planning on swapping the swing arm out later so don’t want to deal with replacing the shock right now, just want to get it more dialed in for the rest of the season.

IMG_3401.jpeg

1 minute ago, george 1100 said:

Maybe spring has too much preload or po has swapped out the spring

Yeah, I have no idea what the spring is in it, mainly it feels like too much rebound. It feels fine on most stuff, but really large bumps at speed it's pretty harsh. I've been looking at photos of used shocks online, and I wish mine still had the sticker on the reservoir, assuming that's where the setup info was. The only adjustments I can see on it are the screw on the reservoir, it looks like there's a dial on the bottom of the shock, and then the lock rings under the spring for preload. I'll try and get under it and see what that dial is set to. According to Racetech, the stock spring was supposed to be way too soft, so I'm thinking the rebound and damping were maxed out. I'd just like to know a starting point to work from. I have no idea how many clicks out that screw(damping?) on the reservoir goes, if it's like the forks 3 or 4 clicks should be in the middle.

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

it's the factory supplementary manual for the L/M 750. Only covers items that were changed from the J/K models (in Europe anyway, don't know about the USA).

I've got the factory manual that covers 88-92 for the US, and as a surprise to no one, nothing actually changed for the 92 model other than color schemes. I'll double check my L section and see if I have that page or not. I might have just seen the fork settings and didn't read the rest.