what battery for Gsxr 1100

1986 Suzuki gsxr1100 wiseco 1109 high compression-  what is a good battery for the Gsxr 

I have a poweroad gel battery but I’m still having issues turning over the engine

A standard battery should turn that over easily. I had a gsxr 1100 (1052) bord out to 1109cc hi comp and the standard battery worked very well and had no problems, even went down to a 8Amp battery off a zx9r think it was a ybx9 ? 

Have you checked the starter motor or starter clutch, to make sure they are all ok ? 

I had an odyssey red top in my hi comp 1216. Normal gel battery wouldn't turn it over when hot. 

It did eventually have an internal short. Good cranking capacity but Hella money and the plates were known to bend and cause shorts. 

ah ok, had the starter apart and it looks good ,bushes are good starter clutch looks ok too , ran a extra earth from battery to starter seemed good but will turn over then act as if it’s flat, jump started it from a car battery and it turned over very fast then, I’m a bit stumped , been looking for a new starter , just thought maby it’s the battery but it’s not very old and battery tester says it’s good

You can try running a heavier gauge wire from the solenoid to the starter, as well as from the battery to the solenoid. There was a kit for one of my old bikes that replaced the starter cable with a 4 awg to the starter and added a 6 awg from the battery to the relay in addition to the factory cable. It helped a lot with the large voltage drops those bikes would get when trying to start them.

Could also be your starter solenoid. Try bypassing the solenoid with a heavy gauge wire from the battery directly to the starter and see if it's any better. That'll also tell you if your battery is up to it. And check your ground wire too, you can also increase the gauge of that wire.

If you renew your wiring, check your alternator and so on, an Li battery is OK for an oilcooled bike and will give a whole load of CCA. Also, try running a cable (same as a battery cable) from the starter motor body directly to the frame. Use one of the M6 bolts that mounts the starter to the engine and go to e.g. one of the engine mounts. This directly earths the starter. Often problems occur when crankcase to frame contact is poor, e.g. corrosion, having the frame or cases painted, causing a poor earth and slow cranking.