Electric woes

So my 2001 GSX600F, Put a new battery on when I got it, and within a day, the battery was dead. Leaning towards the old Reg/Rec issue, If I charge it up and connect it, seem to get live feed to all the wires to rear lights and indicators. Would that be usual or is there likely another short somewhere? Thinking of having another look shortly, disconnecting the alternator and see if anything changes.

Should have 14.5v at 3000 rpm if it reading that the charging system should be ok. If you're losing charge/getting a flat battery over night, you are every unlucky and got a duff battery or probably a bad earth somewhere.

Grab a multimeter and check for parasitic draw. Easy enough, check you tube as easy to follow. Basically, you disconnect neg from battery. Then link back to battery using multimeter. If you have parasitic draw pull fuses until it stops and then check that circuit in detail. Poor connectors, chaffed wires, etc. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, justin said:

Grab a multimeter and check for parasitic draw. Easy enough, check you tube as easy to follow. Basically, you disconnect neg from battery. Then link back to battery using multimeter. If you have parasitic draw pull fuses until it stops and then check that circuit in detail. Poor connectors, chaffed wires, etc. 

This would be my suggestion - batteries that go flat are either due to something being left on (unlikely as most things are ign. key switched) or something is energised via damage in the loom or in a device - a parasitic draw. But to kill a new battery overnight is a pretty big draw ie. 6Ahr battery over 12hrs is 0.5A / 500 mA draw.

• Like 1