GSX750F swingarm

Gsx1100er

First gen Fs all used 3.5" wheels. Second gen Fs all used 4.5" wheels.

First gen Fs had different swing arms for 600s and 750s, probably only differed in length. Second gen Fs used the same swing arms on both models.

I had a first gen 600F years ago, I want to say you could fit a 150, and maybe a 160 in the swing arm, but that was about it. It was pretty narrow. You might be able to fit a second gen swing arm into a first gen frame, but I'm not positive. It's been like 20 years since I've touched one of those bikes.

Thanks for that, First gen 600 and 750 had the same wheelbase ( 57.9inches ) so not sure what the difference in swingarms was.

I have a 1994 600 frame that im putting a 750 motor in ( just using up stuff thats laid about ! ) but want a fat tyre in the back.

My next question ( which you mention ) is ........ will a late swing arm from a 750 fit into an early 600 frame ??   Presumably to use the 750 knuckle, dog bones and shock.

Has anyone done this ?  I realise its a tricky conversion to try and use blandit or xr parts, just thought 750 bits would be easier if possible.

All help greatly appreciated.

Gaz

• 3 weeks later...

Someone got the inside distance from a gsf600 swinger? Mayby size where it fits frame?

Still wondering iff a complete rearend fits. Have a b6 wheel.

They use same sprocket hub so chain allignment is correct, b6 is easy to find, easier dogbones for changing height...

Edited by Ivan
On 11/13/2023 at 8:42 PM, Losiu said:

The brake caliper has been on top, the axle is from 750F. Everything else is Slingshot with improved distancing. In order for the brake pads to go straight to the disc, I had to use pads dedicated to one of the motorcycle models on the Y:ph34r:

Curious what type brake pads you took, quess to overcome the smaller disc?

I am doubting, taking 750 bracket for 10 mm bigger disc (outer 5 mm brakepads wont hit disc, mayby with other pads?) or shaving of a b6/b12/rf900 etc one with about 9 mm, last option would be something home made

My take on this tread.

I have -94 750 F with a 98+ swingarm. I have also used the 98+ knuckle and rods but still running the -94 shock. Need to upgrade it though as I have now fitted k7 gsxr 750 front end to the bike.

Can't remember if there was need for spacers at the pivot, but atleast I can't see any there with my flashlight, so propably not.

As a wheel I run gen 1 Hayabusa rim and 190 tyre. The rim was bought years and years ago from UK and it was already adapted to be used on a GSF 1200, so there are custom spacers not made by me. Rim still uses busa bearings.

With the custom spacers an 20 mm axle can used and this comes from a GSF 1200 also I believe. Brake caliber and bracket is from a -93 GSXR 750W as I had one laying around and it has the possibility to use it without the brake caliber arm. Still run busa rear brake rotor.

When fitting it to the 98+ F swingarm, I had to mill the 750W caliber bracket down "few" millimeters and weld stops to the swingarm to hold the bracket in place. And also had to mill the Busa sprocket carrier so much that there is not enough material to hold the seal on it anymore, so the bearing sealing is done only by the bearing seals itself. Not ideal, but time will tell how it will last. Might fabricate some sort of shield to it at somepoint to prevent debris going to the bearing like there is on the original F front wheel spacer.

The axle holes on the swingarm were made bigger from 17 mm to 20 mm and I believe I am using the gen 1 SV650 chain tensioners (bought years ago and found them in my parts bin, so cannot be sure, but parts fiche pictures seem identical).

Front sprocket is spaced out few millimeters and chain runs quite close to the frame and tyre, but it runs straight with my checkings and can't see any marks on the frame to see it's hitting it. Wheel is also centered on the bike, so all good there.

Also the tyre runs quite close to the swingarm, but so far there doesn't seem to be contact with tyre and swingarm.

I am planning on extending the adjustment slots and modifying the chain tensioner thingies to allow the wheel to move a bit more rearward to allow more room for the tyre to flex just in case. I don't like the look of the extended swingarms so will not run one, even though I am aiming to triple the engine power with my build. Will see how that will go though.

Would I do it like this the second time to run wider tyre, propably not. Too much hassle and custom parts, but I had extra time at the garage and had parts already laying around. Previously I had a custom made widened and braced -94 swingarm, but when I made it I only had a fluxcore welder, so the welds on it weren't that good and it was little twisted after my work done to it, so I bought the facelift swingarm instead.

To put wider wheel now, I would just buy facelift F rear wheel (4,5" wide) to be fitted on the facelift swingarm and run a 170 tyre on it and call it good as it would only be "10 mm" narrower than 180 tyre. Few tyre manufacturers state that their 170 tyre can be run on 4,5" wheel, but cannot remember which ones on top of my head.

When using facelift swingarm, changing the rods (dogbones or what ever they are called) is much easier as they don't have any bearings as there is on the pre facelift rods. So swapping rear shock and adjusting rear height is much more easier with the facelift swingarm.

But hopefully this post helps someone on their quest for wider rear wheel to F bike.

20231218_141549.jpg

20231218_141546.jpg

20231218_141539.jpg

20231218_141531.jpg

20231218_141527.jpg

Edited by IhmeJanneFIN
Typos
  • Like 3

Hi ye all… I asked this same question a while back when I bought an insurance write off pile of junk and got it going again for a work hack but knowing me I can’t leave things alone….anyway I fabricated an extended a standard GSX600F swing arm to fit a 5.5 rim from Gsxr11 … made a calliper carrier and converted to under slung calliper with adjustable tie Rod so …yahoo better looking back end with 180 rubber…. When I find out how to down load pics I’ll show you!!! ….btw MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all ….great forum btw

943F1C2F-F0F5-4E2C-BA3F-A00C5BEE7B50.jpeg

734E49EC-CEA0-48E6-A240-33C2A187B57D.jpeg

3F2B5E01-32AB-41F1-AEE6-82DF2F0D6274.jpeg

• Like 1