GSX1400 engine Turbo project

Joseph

Intake pipe questions :

The HE221 turbo i'm using has a V band clamp system on the exit of the compressor. 

So unless i have a tube welded on, and i don't want to do that, i have to buy an adapter that clamps on with an O ring seal.

@Arttumentioned about the exhaust needing to be "small" diameter from the header to the turbo (because the turbo is a certain distance from the header) to ensure a good feed

Should i maintain that concept for the charge tube ?

I have located a 51mm adapter or a 63mm adapter that bolt onto these turbos. (The actual turbo exit is the equivalent of a 45mm tube)

So piping with 63mm means more passage but "slower" flow, piping with 51mm would mean a faster feed but "less" air being pushed into the plenum ?

It's due to go through an intercooler (240x190mm core, 100mm thick)

In terms of layout and proportions, picture the turbo lined up around the flywheel cover, and the intercooler fitted at cylinder level above the ignition cover

No, maintaining flow speed isn't important on compressor outlet side. The flow speed will be killed anyways in the plenum before air gets sucked in the intake ports. Also higher speed means bigger losses in the piping.

Naturally it isn't good to have too many diameter changes in the piping either. So for example it doesn't help much to use 63mm pipe from the turbo if you have to neck it down to 51mm at the intercooler.

Right, so 51 or 63 won't change much as long as it's equal throughout the set up

The IC I got is 63, but i need to have it modified (pipe orientation) so i could while i'm at it have the pipes changed to 51.

Smaller pipes take up less space also

Screenshot-20240619-142619-2.png

Screenshot-20240619-142628-2.png

• Like 1
On 6/3/2024 at 7:18 PM, Joseph said:

Stock factory weight of the standard car all filled up is 375kg. I'm guessing 400kg final weight is realistic with all the stuff added (rollcage, bigger diff etc) but i'll get it weighed when it's finished.

Is it going to be orange? :ph34r:....

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

My lathe guy was busy on it this weekend

Levelling out the mating surface :

IMG-20240707-195912.jpg

Working out the drillings required (pump shaft, evac and threaded holes for screwing it onto the cover :

IMG-20240707-195919.jpg

Almost done :

IMG-20240707-195931.jpg

Once this is completed he's going to send it back to me minus the shaft so that i can fit it to the engine and be able to measure the extra length required for the pump drive.

The GSX1400 ignition cover as you can see is much taller (for no reason other than giving it an oldschool AC look) compared to the usual OC one, so that means a long shaft. I hope that won't be a problem

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 3

Good point, however what seemed critical for me was to manage to get the center axis marked precisely, turns out that that outer edge on the case is concentric to the crankshaft end, i was thinking that if we cut down/welded a plate it would prove harder to get it worked out. And since my lathe guy is a through the mail service i was on my own working this out with very limited technical experience.

On this item of the vehicle i don't have any clearance issues so space wasn't a consideration, obviously on a bike i would buy a budget breaker CNCed kit because this is a functional eyesore as far as looks go, but i'm 135€ all in on this so i'm clearly not complaining 

• Like 2