GSX1100F clutch - bite / engagement issues

wraith

Hi all,
Just re-bled the clutch on the GSXF Kat and, as usual, the bite is right in at the handlebar (i.e.it's already trying to engage drive as soon as you've got it in gear, even with the clutch pulled right in). When you select a gear from neutral it goes in with a right clunk. It's rideable, just annoying, 'specially in traffic/lots clutch slipping/slow riding.

The clutch (GSXF 1127) has new OEM steel and friction plates and H/D springs. The master cylinder is a ZX9R type, and the cylinder and push rod (engine side) are GSXR, I think (but not sure what model/cc size, 750 or 1100),
It's always been like it since I first built the engine, really. I haven't found any difference with the recent clutch plates/springs nor a couple of years ago when I changed burnt-out plates for new ones.

Presumably, the clutch isn't quite fully disengaging, but I can't figure out why. So, questions/thoughts:
Are there different lengths of clutch push rods? Could the GSXR (1100 or 750) push rod and/or piston be a different size or strength or size in some way to the GSXF one and therefore be forcing the bite point all the way in or otherwise doing someting annoying or failing to do something which they should?

Can anyone think of any other reason which might be causing it?

I know that the Missis's clutch on her GSXR1127 is not as far in, and that's got a ZX9R master cylinder but I think otherwise all original clutch parts. Mind you, she does also say that hers can be clunky going into gear and complains that the bite point is a lot further in than she would like it and that if she adjusts her lever to where she wants it she gets the same 'creep' forward on the clutch at start off.

Cheers.

Cheers all.

how old is the line from MC to slave cyl? Could be expanding under pressure.

And what Pies 'R Us says, the pushrod is probably too short.

The line is a new Goodridge. And the fluid is clean and dry as I only re-bled it a week ago.

The push rod I have fitted is 91mm. I do have another one, but that is only 82mm long.

Does anybody know what the standard push rod length should be and if there's a longer rod (and off what make/model) or another fix/get round/bodge to make it longer? (I'm having a vague recollection about putting some washers into Mrs W's bike's clutch now that I'm thinking about it - so I am wondering if there is someting going on vis a vis the master cylinder? But then again, I am also now recalling that I originally had GXSR M/Cyls on mine and still had the clutch bite point issue...)

I don't know what the slave cylinder is off, except a GSXR1100/750 (or other oilcooled motor?? ).

The piston in the slave that I'm using is 38mm diam. I do have a spare one which has a 35mm diam piston. I was wondering whether, being a smaller and presumably lighter piston, using this one would allow the hydraulic fluid to exert more overall end pushing effect onto the rod/clutch, if that makes sense?

Any more ideas/comments welcomed....

One other thing  - I don't know what either of the above slave cylinders are off, apart from an oilcooled motor. Has anybody any idea what they could be, as I'd like to put new seals in the 35mm one if I'm going to use it (it's been sat in the shed for a good long time).

Cheers.

Been in the shed tonight and swapped the slave cylinders over - i.e put the 35mm diam piston one on - and it works a treat. Has given me approx. 5-10mm more on the bite when you let the handlebar lever out.
I can now put the lever in, the bike is not wanting to crawl forward and the clutch is engaging properly.
Much joy :-)