New owner. Some questions.

beardo

As others have said regarding the engine, all depends on how much you want to spend. Flat slide carbs don't lose much value if you buy them and decide to go sell them later when going with a turbo build. I've got a full Akra bandit 1200 exhaust on a slingshot 750. Gotta space the oil cooler out, but otherwise it fits fine. Most of the 1200 exhausts should work on a GSXR frame with a little bit of tweaking.  Full exhaust and a jet kit or some Mikuni RS carbs won't take the bike off the road for very long and will let you have some fun over the summer while you decide what direction you want to go with it.

I've rode a friend's bandit that had a holeshot 1216 kit and lumpy cams, fun bike but still a bandit at the end of the day. Before you dump a bunch of money on suspension, definitely look more into getting a slingshot or slabby frame. You can find bare frames in the states here on Eblag, but you're always going to be better off buying a full donor bike. Things like bodywork, controls, gas tank, will all add up pretty fast.

I'm out in the PNW and also avoid facebook. Keep an eye on craigslist, stuff pops up from time to time. I don't know what it's like out there, but definitely check across the border up in Canada. For some reason out here, there's way more old GSXR stuff for sale across the border in Vancouver than there ever is in Oregon and Washington combined. I think Americans might have just done a better job of destroying GSXRs back in the day.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, beardo said:

Something I noticed while doing research. The US bikes don't have lower frame rail motor mounts. What is the explanation there?

don't know the reason but they did the same with the 1200 bandits , even though all the mounting points are their ??????  

Yeah, that's my point. My bike has the bosses on the block, has the threaded holes on the rails...no mounts. And no parts fiche show any. Look at fiche for an 'overseas' bike, and there it is, plain as day. And you can find pictures all day long online and see them. Really strange...

So, I am definitely not going to spend much, or any time/money on the Bandit suspension/brakes. Two-fold. I don't know if I'll ever get a slab/sling frame/roller, and if I do, I don't want to have sunk a bunch of money into the Bandit. Other reason is, I sickeningly find the bike slightly entertaining as it is. It does stop, eventually. And it does go where you point...mostly. That's the excitment, and it's cheap!

I do need to do something about the headlamp on this bike. It's awful!!!!

Edited by beardo
1 hour ago, TonyGee said:

don't know the reason but they did the same with the 1200 bandits , even though all the mounting points are their ??????  

I'm loosing the plot :$ for some reason i thought we where talking about a GSXR !!!!!!!  just ignore me while i take some more of my special pills O.o  

Anyone happen to know if the Mk1 fairing will bolt on to the K Bandits? The projector lamps on the K-S are horrible. I have an N top clamp so maybe I'll just remove the fairing. Need to do something soon for light. It's a must. It's still dark when I leave for work, otherwise I wouldn't care.

10 minutes ago, beardo said:

Anyone happen to know if the Mk1 fairing will bolt on to the K Bandits? The projector lamps on the K-S are horrible. I have an N top clamp so maybe I'll just remove the fairing. Need to do something soon for light. It's a must. It's still dark when I leave for work, otherwise I wouldn't care.

it won't be a direct fit as the frames are different, but nothing is impossible ;)

I get that the frames are different (and unfortunately so, as the Mk frames are much more aesthetically pleasing) but those fairing stays all stem (no pun) at the headstock. So if the fair stays bolt directly up, everything else falls into place.

18 minutes ago, beardo said:

I get that the frames are different (and unfortunately so, as the Mk frames are much more aesthetically pleasing) but those fairing stays all stem (no pun) at the headstock. So if the fair stays bolt directly up, everything else falls into place.

yeah the front frame mounts will be in the same place, but the 2 left and right mounts you will probably have to make ???   not a job ive ever done, but any bandit ive had with a fairing ive taken it of and binned :D

3 hours ago, beardo said:

And that actually is something I have been seriously considering. If that's the way, besides the N model, what Suzuki models are a hookup and go proposition?

I'm only familiar with the GSXR harnesses, but they all have a sub harness for the headlights. If the bandits are the same, it's pretty easy to sacrifice one to hookup any type of headlights you like. You can even get some pretty trick LED single bucket headlights now that will take a standard H4 plug.

10 hours ago, beardo said:

20w led projector lamps absolutely fantastic upgrade

IMG_20201202_100443255.jpg

IMG_20201206_145831002.jpg

Edited by Lachie04

IMG_20211222_165327500.thumb.jpg.55c5547a6a634fb66a77531932f3996d.jpgHopefully not a bad move to post this link but it's a good write up 

https://planetbuhs.net/motorcycling/bandit-hella-mod

He flipped the plates but I didn't it didn't need to also I didn't seal the back like he did and have ridden this in absolute down pours and is now 18 months on with no I'll effects the lamps are totally sealed and water proof in their own.

If doing this the one bit of advice "do not get that grey shit sealant anywhere"

I have a few photos of my own

IMG_20201206_133437476.thumb.jpg.a25d76811aefea4439beeef0d0d6c75b.jpg

IMG_20201206_141425398.thumb.jpg.a4d1fb35562a4d98b949aa3a11aaf03f.jpg

IMG_20201206_141432211.thumb.jpg.607311c4624b10806fd035d3fe94244b.jpg

Edited by Lachie04
Added photos