R1 forks into 750L

Blue

Just come across this - You dont have to use an R1 front wheel - you can also use a Thunderace or XJR1300 front wheel , discs and even calipers - then you can use the thunderace / xjr speedo drive too - everything will fit straight in and line up - BUT , you wil need to make a small mod the the left hand fork leg because the R1 has no speedodrive , there is a large boss on the left hand forkleg ( at the spindle ) taking up the 'space' where the speedo drive should be , just machine this off , and weld a lug on to prevent the speedo drive spinning around and you're done.
Of course you can use the suzuki front wheel , discs and calipers - but they wheel need some machining , spacers and brackets for the calipers to fit properly - more work than is worth it - the yam stuff will be lighter and stiffer , and the braking much better.

Thats right, it isn't a straight swop for the gsxr wheel and stuff, you will need to make spacers for the discs to line them up with the calipers anyway., and spacers and stuff to make the wheel fit, spindle size is different for starters...

Easiest way is to get the complete front end and fit the slingy steering stem into the yampaha yoke, and a top hat spacer needs making for the top yoke.. , not difficult as ive done it before..:tu

Thinking about it I have an early set of R1 forks and bottom yoke in the shed somewhere, i can do some measuring if you like,,..??:tu

On 3/29/2022 at 7:41 AM, fatblokeonbandit said:

Yup it’s all do able, my teapots got gsxr K7 forks in slingy yokes with b12 wheel and discs. Yahmaha calliper's, home made spacers, disc spacers and modified speedo drive, none of it’s difficult, just need a lathe.:tu

Any idea if the full K7 front end will fit in USD slingshot forks? I've got a Yosh top triple that I'm kinda fond of, but would prefer modern forks and brakes.

The fork spacing is slightly different, slingy 214 mm , K series 207 mm, so you need to find 3.5 mm each side, can be done with spacers but depends if the wheel spindle is long enough, then move the discs to the centre of the callipers, either buy spacing the discs or moving the callipers

Edited by fatblokeonbandit
  • Like 1