1984 GSX750ES for restauration and use in Sweden

Hello all!

I just picked up this bike cheap here in Sweden... Seems like I got me some work, but I hope it will be ready for summer!

There are a few issues with it, like:

- spongy front brakes. The antidive is still in place, any information as to how to replace that (and with what) is much welcomed. I may or may not replace it right away, but I need good brakes for sure.

- I am not sure if it charges correctly or at all.  EDIT: It charges as it should imho; 13,6V with the lights on, 14V without.

- started and ran good when I bought it, but was running (very) rough when I got home. The fuel tap was at 'pri' all the way home.

Thankful for any replies! Also, I will be needing a service manual for it; if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be happy!!! EDIT2: Found a manual online.

I wish everyone a pleasant day!

Kind regards, Topoftherock

IMG_20220212_225431_468.jpg

IMG_20220212_225440_505.jpg

IMG_20220212_225450_001.jpg

Edited by Topoftherock
  • Like 4

Welcome 

re- the front end on these you've two options realistically 

1 - try an revive what you have with new seals , braided hoses , sintered pads and the like , oh and find some decent 16" rubber . You can remove the ADive and plate it without too much issues .

or

2 swap the entire front end out for something more modern , ditch the Anti Rattle units and the 16 in. wheel. 

............most of the builds on here including mine went for option 2....but then take a look around at where you are :)

Mines not that radical, nor did it involve any real engineering other than lining shit up - teapot front end and back wheel 

DSCF7639.jpg

Edited by PanzerWomble
  • Like 3

Thank you very much for very good information and warm welcome!!!

I think I will go for option number 1 for the front end in the first place, maybe do something more drastic later.

Also, I wonder if whats on the picture looks as it should? I guess it is he clutch adjustment?

Very happy for the information I allready got. Thanks.

topoftherock

IMG_20220213_154219_254.jpg

7 hours ago, gsxwill said:

Ditch the anti dive, (y)

I just made blanking plates! 

Much better 

Nice bike, good luck 

Thank you very much for your reply, what you say are duely noted.

I am very curious as of how these blanking plates look and where you put them? You wouldn't by any chance have a picture or two please?

Kind regards topoftherock

38 minutes ago, Topoftherock said:

Thank you very much for your reply, what you say are duely noted.

I am very curious as of how these blanking plates look and where you put them? You wouldn't by any chance have a picture or two please?

Kind regards topoftherock

Hej och välkommen!

It should look something like these;
https://www.fastfromthepast.com/fork-anti-dive-bypass/suzuki-anti-dive-bypass

dadbpp-gs1b.thumb.jpg.40c1044a4235b87497dbb74f74fd917c.jpg

Regarding the clutch-thing, it looks to be pointing in the same direction as mine is. Do you have clutch slipping problems?

20211026_182218.jpg.397dd0085df406a57ed1585c399387f0.thumb.jpg.093f8ab338245c6991303734233b5225.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, carl_87 said:

Hej och välkommen!

It should look something like these;
https://www.fastfromthepast.com/fork-anti-dive-bypass/suzuki-anti-dive-bypass

dadbpp-gs1b.thumb.jpg.40c1044a4235b87497dbb74f74fd917c.jpg

Regarding the clutch-thing, it looks to be pointing in the same direction as mine is. Do you have clutch slipping problems?

20211026_182218.jpg.397dd0085df406a57ed1585c399387f0.thumb.jpg.093f8ab338245c6991303734233b5225.jpg

Tack så jättemycket!!!

I will do some more checks on the front end before I decide what to do... 125 dollars sound a bit steep for what it is, but I am very happy they exist.

Did you use these blanking plates on your bike?

Must admit I have not tried the bike on the road yet, due to ice on the road; hence I donno if the clutch slips. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gsxwill said:

Blanking plate set sold along time ago sorry!!

IMG_20220224_114605.thumb.jpg.b8a1cd4c9680b51cd402dc69b72290cc.jpgHere's a anti dive I filled with silicone back in the80s

Would not recommend it, god i was a dum arse O.o

no oil or brake fluid will come out of the top part of the antidive (where the hose bolts too) you can take the top part off with hoses still attached as both parts have a seal, it keeps both fluids separate.  ive disconnected the small hose from the calliper on mine and just put a plastic plug in for now just to keep the crap out.

20211218_130601.jpg

Edited by TonyGee
7 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

no oil or brake fluid will come out of the top part of the antidive (where the hose bolts too) you can take the top part off with hoses still attached as both parts have a seal, it keeps both fluids separate.  ive disconnected the small hose from the calliper on mine and just put a plastic plug in for now just to keep the crap out.

Lucky guess from me then (y)

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

I've had "83 GS750ES since new.  I actually built it out of the crate.  Everyone blanks out the anti-dive without considering there may be other issues affecting the braking that they happen to fix when flush out the lines, throw out a anti-dive unit it need of cleaning.  I still have mine on my bike, and when I ride other people's motorcycles, I really wonder how people can still tolerate the nose of their bike diving like that.  I can lock up my front wheel, though I don't know why you would want to do that, and the bike does not dive. 

Going against the grain here, but having owned this bike from new, and always maintaining it, try repairing what you have, I'd replace the brake lines, maybe some Galfer Stainless steel ones, make sure there is no rust inside the anti-dive unit or the forks.  You will wanting to replace that fluid also.  Cartridge emulators are a trend that makes sense, simple fluidics, but you will have to make your own as there is nothing that drops right in.  How hard do you plan to ride?  I can go from Connecticut to New Hampshire on my bike, about a 5 hour ride, and couple of stops for fuel, and for general ball refreshing, then I'm on my way again.  i can cruise at 90 all day long.  What more can you ask for.  It seems like a lot of posts seem to imply that they drag their knees around every corner, but if you're keeping it real, you bring that bike back to stock, and you will have one heluva motorcycle.  Their are few choices for the 16" front wheel, but they are good choices.  I'm running an Avon front tire now, I really like it.  Pirelli just came out with a Diablo tire in 16", but they are hard to find, they are out there though, and expensive.  I run a Bridgestone Battleaxe in the rear.  That 16" tires really carves up the road.  That hasn't changed.

Take that fuel tank petcock off of prime or your crankcase will fill with gasoline!!!

The charging system on those bikes is horrid.  Suzuki only regulated one leg of the stator.  The other two legs are rectified, but swing up and down, unregulated.  You may wish to consider getting a voltage regulator that regulates all three legs before the impending inevitable charging problem arrives. :)

Edited by Suzukian