Bandit 1200 engine to 600/650 frame

johnnyboy

I’ve seen another post which says that this will fit with a frame mount diameter mod. 

Someone also said about adjusting valves before it goes in which wouldn’t work for me so I’d like to know if it’ll go in allowing rocker cover removal. Don’t have a problem with the exhaust, loom etc as I’m assuming this’ll need work. So questions are - 

1 - will it fit original model and anyone done it?

2 - Will it fit newer 650 model ?

3 - Will the frame need strengthening? I have visions of it flexing around the swing arm and headstock, if so can anyone suggest an approach? I’m guessing if the 1200 could have done with a lighter spindly frame that suzuki would have done it anyway… 

And yes, I know it’s a pain in the ass, and using a 1200 frame is a better option but due to leg length I’m looking into it as an option. Seen a damaged version of each at fair prices. 

Chz

Hmm, wondering about the seat heights then - guess it’s down to suspension, seat and tyres. I was assuming the 600 would have a diff frame… The following seem to be right based on a few sites. 

Mk1 600 Seat Height : 805 mm (31,7 in)

Mk2 600 Seat Height : 800 mm (31,5 in)

Mk1 1200 Seat Height: 835 mm (32.9 in)

Mk2 1200 Seat Height: 790 mm (31.1 in)

… & thanks for info 

Sounds good, I’ve actually got a slabby frame that I may use with a 1200 engine… 

I’ll be back on when I’ve found a 1200 doner…

Out of interest,  would you say the yokes/forks wheelsetc from a 88 GSXR750J are a better choice or use the bandit 1200 bits on a slabby frame? 

Most people don't like the 6 pots, the 4 pots are better all round.

But I've got some gsxr1000 k2 6 pots on a gs1000 and using a latter gsxr radial master cylinder and they are much better feel than the early gsxr or bandit 6 pots, but the momenting holes are different on the gsxr1000 calipers but try a radial master.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2021 at 2:18 PM, TonyGee said:

seats are the same on mk1 600/1200, the height difference will be in the suspension/tires.  what is it you are thinking of doing ?  putting a 1200 in a 600 you really need to uprate the front brakes and forks/swingarm !!!!  

Pretty sure '95/96 Bandits have a nicer looking, lower seat. Fatbloke's picture shows the later, higher item.

Though if the foam is anything similar to that on a TL, you'll be able to shape it easily yourself. Just a blade from an iron saw and a rasp will do. And a staplefun to reinstall the cover.

24 minutes ago, TLRS said:

Pretty sure '95/96 Bandits have a nicer looking, lower seat. Fatbloke's picture shows the later, higher item.

Though if the foam is anything similar to that on a TL, you'll be able to shape it easily yourself. Just a blade from an iron saw and a rasp will do. And a staplefun to reinstall the cover.

95-99 same part number, ive owned 6 bandits and worked on many more and as far as i know they are all the same unless they have been modified.