Cheap head gasket o-ring alert!!!

Jaydee

Just ordered a load of 15mm head gasket o-rings from Robinsons Foundry for 1127/1157 engines. Normally they are priced at £8.89 each but are on offer for £2.90 each at the moment!!!

There seems to be a further discount ,(maybe vat reduction as sold to outside U.K, Rep.of Ireland?) as I bought 36 which should have amounted to £104 but I paid £87.12 (plus £10 post)

Worth bulk buying at that price.:)

Unfortunately the 17mm slabby o-rings are still at ful price of £8.89.:(

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 2
  • Jaydee changed the title to Cheap head gasket o-ring alert!!!
22 minutes ago, Dezza said:

I just got all excited and then my bubble was burst because I need the slabby ones :(

Hang in there Dezza and keep an eye on Robinsons website. They've reduced prices in the past for for the oil drain pipes and the o-rings and valve stem seals so you might get lucky in the future.

Looking at my invoice, I was charged £2.42 an o-ring instead of £2.90. I'm guessing that Robinsons didn't charge me the vat as they expect me to pay it at customs. Fingers crossed it'll slip past the fuckers.:) 

• Like 2

I got the valve stem seals when the price was reduced :). I'll need the drain tube and head seals soon. I just don't understand why the head seals are so expensive: it's a mystery on par with the origin of life, why sexual reproduction evolved and persists, what happened to Hitler's remains. O.o

Edited by MeanBean49
Keep politics out of OSS
1 hour ago, Buzuki said:

From my experience any but quality from Viton rubber made O-rings can 100% do the job when physical dimensions is the same as Suzuki originals .

If you are talking about head gasket o-rings, they have a metal washer impregnated in the rubber. Not as simple as normal rubber o-rings. As for the oil drain tubes o-rings? Why chance it if you have to tear everything back down again when it all goes wrong? Spend the few quid extra and buy genuine Suzuki. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jaydee said:

If you are talking about head gasket o-rings, they have a metal washer impregnated in the rubber. Not as simple as normal rubber o-rings. As for the oil drain tubes o-rings? Why chance it if you have to tear everything back down again when it all goes wrong? Spend the few quid extra and buy genuine Suzuki. 

Yep, that's the dilemma. If an alternative to OEM fails it's a load of hassle to replace.

12 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Just checked both many service manuals and some old OEM cyl.head gasket six O-rings and did not found any metal washer impregnated in the rubber , 

IMHO what`s important when man have to chose some alternative O-rings is that they have to be strictly made from Viton rubber , since Viton rubber is very resistant to oils , gasoline, and what is the most important to high temperature , 

four O-rings for oil return two tubes is less loaded since there is no any oil pressure ,  but again they have to be made from oil & temperature resistant Viton rubber only. 

1 hour ago, Buzuki said:

Just checked both many service manuals and some old OEM cyl.head gasket six O-rings and did not found any metal washer impregnated in the rubber

Why would a manual describe the composition of a part? Yes, 100% there is a metal washer in the head gasket o-rings. The pic shows a 15mm o-ring with the rubber partially removed and hanging from a magnet. The slabby o-ring have a bigger metal washer.

20211014_134311.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 9:01 AM, jonny1bump said:

36 O.o how many engines you building or planning on blowing up and thats coming from me lol

Have a few 1127's and 1157's stashed away and couple of gas flowed heads sitting on the shelf so 36 o-rings gets used up over a short time. ;) And at that price....

2 hours ago, jonny1bump said:

Got my o rings ordered cheers for group heads up.

Could be comedy comment there too. 

Got mine too last week. They arrived surprisingly quickly. And didn't get caught for tax, which was nice.:D