Throttle stuttering like she's misfiring

Hi, 

I've got a bit of an issue with my 94 1100WR in that the throttle stutters heavily between 1000 and 4000 revs. It could possibly still be doing it above that but the frequency gets to a point that I can't clearly tell. Anyway, I've been advised that it could be my emulsion tubes that have worn out to an oval shape and no longer fit or function correctly. How do I check this? It sounds expensive too...

Any advice? 

Cheers

SPLAT

As to not revving cleanly from idle to 4000 revs? The carbs would be getting their fuel from the slow circuit at this range. The main jet would barely be picking up the transition from the slow jet leaning off at 4000 revs. I'd start with screwing in the mixture screws untill lightly seated and turn back out to spec on the manual and see does it kill the stutter. No harm stripping down the carbs though for an inspection, clean and re calibration just to be sure all o-rings, jets and needles are in good nick. ;) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the snippets of advice! I have replaced the spark plugs and no.3 was the worst looking but all were black/sooty. I know it's running a bit rich generally as I have a Termignoni 4-1 exhaust system but standard airbox and jets. 

Cheers!

SPLAT

Rode to work this morning, so have a little more information...

The 'stuttering' is definitely still occurring above the 4k mark. I'm also getting a lot of grumbly exhaust noise and backfiring. It basically sounds like a misfire on one cylinder. Could that be an issue with my coils perhaps?

Cheers

SPLAT