Cdi choices

I have a gs750e a 1983 as of now I have an 82 1100 GS CDI box on it I would like to get one of the stock ones or was wondering if a early model GSXR or teapot would work or are they all about the same I know they changed a lot from 82 to 83 was just wondering if anybody had any experience with this or if any of them would give me more power thanks any input would be helpful

Edited by Captain Chaos
Teapot, not katana

Cool I've been thinking about doing that just not sure if it's worth the $400 do you have any experience with those and there's so many different ones I'm not sure which one I would use .the bikes definitely worth putting the money into it I only gave three hundred bucks for it all I had to do was cleaned out the carburetors put a CDI box and a regulator rectifier on it oh and tires . The only mods I've done are I went up 4 teeth on the back sprocket and it has a 4in1 Vance & Hines pipe and a stage 2 jet kit thanks (wraith)

I've got a Dyna S on my GS1000G (2v) and a Dyna 2000 in my Kat that has a gsx1100f motor (oil cooled)

Dyna S,

Had this on my gs for years and very happy with it, don't know if it gives you anymore power that would be a big argument with some on here xD but it wires up by going from the ATU straight up to The coils, so no cdi. As such you get a better spark and better response, again a big argument with some :D but I like them.

The Dyna 2000,  

These do have a cdi type thing but it has the function to set your own rev limit and your own advance/retard by a switch so you can set it as you go, as to speek. Again where it gives you more bhp I can't say but the by me says a better spark etc.

Again I'm very happy with my Dyna 2000.

There are different types of these from other makers which other people like but Dyna have been around for quite a long time.

Whilst a Dyna 'S' is a good upgrade on this model you need to fit additional items to get a satisfactory outcome! As std. this bike is all electronic ignition and if fitted with a Dyna S it would require sourcing and fitting a mechanical advancer unit from an earlier 750 ( 1981 for example ) and also that models timing / pick up cover as the ATU adds about 1/2" in depth.

With all the extra stuff, you may as well buy a Dyna 2000 - easier to fit and has tuning potential if required. Other electronic ignitions are available - but i've only used Dyna so that's what I recommend.

• Like 1