My 92 GSX-R / Bandit Engine

V8Torrent

Hello everyone,

I came across this webiste searching information on mods for the 1200 bandit engine.

about two years ago I bought a 1992 GSXR 1100, which already had a 1200 bandit engine swapped in. The bike looked good and the engine felt good, but it was a total disaster in suspension, brakes and ride quality.

I took the engine out, and disassembled the whole bike, got most of the parts powder coated in satin black and replaced all bushings, bearings and small parts I was able to locate for the bike. Also all new galfer brake and clutch lines, new rotors, pads and other minor stuff. Also the front fairing as it was a fiberglass copy and as it was too hard to find down here, repaired the lower fairings. all the plastic, fiber and paint job was done by a friend of mine.

Now that the bike is closer to hit the streets I'm looking for small mods to make the engine a little more "gsxr like", I've read in this site that a common change is to use 750's cams, so any information on this type of changes is welcome. The idea is not to build a monster engine, not even taking it apart, but change minor stuff to make it "happier".

Some pics, the fairings are not yet mounted, just sitted on top to check for parts to bolt them.

This is when I bought it.. looked "good" but terrible to ride.

994501_336576903139483_2049185074_n.jpg?

Off to powder coating.

10250184_465518120245360_292792272519628

During assembly.

11391381_671988059598364_495782987735464

This is current looks, still need to fix forks so haven't ride it yet. the scratches are too deep so decided not to install new seals until I get forks.  Just bought a used set from a  91 750, I think I can make a decent set for the 1100 out of both of them.

12046665_718250331638803_864898153897902

Edited by V8Torrent
  • Like 1

Hi V8T - project's looking good !

The standard  Slingshot 1100s didn't handle brilliantly when new, years on with saggy old suspension will make things worse. But it's easy enough to make them handle much better with better suspension parts, I fitted a Nitron shock in the rear and resprung and refurbished the forks -  with set-up the suspension is very decent now.

If you fit 750 forks (showa) they are 35mm shorter than the standard 1100 forks (kayaba), I'm not sure if you can mixt he internals. If you fit 750 forks (or pretty much any others) you can't mount the handlebars above the top yoke, you would also need to fit a 750 fairing and bracket, so the new bars don't foul the fairing.

The Bandit as you know, has soft cams, you can fit 1986 - 90  GSXR1100 cams or the 1988/89 750 cams - they both seem to have the same duration and lift - these will let the motor fly from mid range upward. The Bandit motor has lower compression than the R too, you could mill the head to lift the compression, which will help performance everywhere.

Some people like to just add the GSXR inlet cam, which adds a lot pretty much everywhere, but the motor won't rev out and it'll peak lower than both R cams.

Hope that makes sense, I'm in a rush !

• Like 2

Ok, so head on to look for GSXR750 J/K cams...  

Do I need to get any other parts from that bike?
as SFC said, will my current cam sprockets be good to use with the 750 cams?

any other thing I should notice?

you have to use the bandit cqm wheels as the cam chains are of a differant type, and some people recomend slotting the sprockets and dialing them in,  if you have the expertise and equipment then it is probably best, but i didnt know any better when i did it the first time 10 years ago, so i slapped them in and fired it up and it went like a rocket :tu

you have to use the bandit cqm wheels as the cam chains are of a differant type, and some people recomend slotting the sprockets and dialing them in,  if you have the expertise and equipment then it is probably best, but i didnt know any better when i did it the first time 10 years ago, so i slapped them in and fired it up and it went like a rocket :tu

A guy from a facebook group also tells me that I could use the complete head from the J-K 750.  ¿is this correct?  (I asume I still need to change the cqm wheels from the bandit engine)... is the 750 head chamber smaller? that would help increase compression.

• 5 years later...