Engine - normal operating temperature?

Sten

With a Setrab 19 row cooler

Depends on ambient temp on a 23-25°C day oil temp around 80-90/95 measured at the main oil gallery this may be @ 10° hotter then the sump temp and depends on how much acceleration your doing to

Stuck in traffic on a hotter day  better than 100 have seen 115  and have to pull the pin at lights

If I cruise at 80K or better should be @ 85 on a hot day

Don't know at the head I have a head cooler mounted on the rear and always thought about fitting a temp gauge to see but that's too much trouble.

Otherwise find a IR temp reader and measure yourself 

• Like 1

Thanks Latchie, just needed a ball-park figure for the head temperature really.

Did think about buying an IR temp reader but assume they cost a fair bit; one of those things that wouldn't be used enough to justify the price.

Cheers

Sooo, bought a set of these studs today to replace the knackered original exhaust bolts on my GSX - a common problem on the centre pots due to the shorty mudguard .

507317268_exstuds.thumb.jpg.97e628ed70fac2b0bb1ac064732733fe.jpg

Reason I was asking about the head temperature is cos' I'm thinking about using loctite when fitting the studs; partly to protect against future corrosion, and partly because the threads seem a little loose for some reason.

I assume loctite 271 (red) would be the better choice here due to it's ability to withstand higher temps.

Anyone done the same or have any thoughts on this?

Edited by Sten
1 hour ago, Sten said:

the threads seem a little loose

If your threads were tip-top then there would be no harm trying Locktite 271 or 272.

But I don't think thread lock will be much good here as the studs are loose or partially striped. Better off using m8 helicoils 9and then use the hi temp thread locker if you already have it). 

From your original post, it came across as you wanted to know a mean or average temp for the head, most might think the post was about aiding cooling. The area around the exhaust ports would be the hottest part of the head.

• Like 1

The three bolts that shit the bed are fine now mate; still don't know how I managed to sort them TBH. Oodles of patience, a handful of cobalt bits, an M8 chaser tap and three well-placed pilot holes meant that I was able to reclaim the threads. The looseness I mentioned is the same across all the holes; i.e, even the five others that were put there by the factory.

Maybe I used the wrong term there; it's just when I screw a decent bolt in all the way (to a depth of about 19mm), it's not as tight as I would expect it to be. Thinking that the loctite may help to improve the fit; if you know what I mean.

Cheers