Gregg

Gregg

I have a 1983 GSX 1100 that I have just done up and now suffering start up electrical problems

Have a new wiring loom and all components work - ie lights, indicators etc

Problem is with a new battery I go to try to start, starter motor ticks over but power goes within 10 revolutions or so - "flat battery"

It is a CDI machine, has a new rectifier, signal generator, CDI unit but somewhere I am losing serious amps / battery energy........... have checked grounding on all replaced / crucial components.

The generator unfortunately (which has 2 wires connecting to the rectifier and 1 to the RH starter switch) are all black. So cannot easily connect to the correct wires.

Is this connection sensitive (in terms of wire colours to rectifier) 

Any other ideas - any help appreciated

Cheers

Gregg

Hi Gregg, 

Have you measured the amps with a clamp? A regular Fluke can be set to detect and freeze peak values. Would be interesting in terms of fault search.  

There's two parts that I find interesting in the circuit:

1. Starter motor, is it original, brush wear etc. Could be filled with carbon from brushes causing a short circuit/ground fault. Video

2. starter relay, any type of ground fault etc.

FYI, I had the same problem with my GS1000. Turned out my external battery charger was toasted and didn't fully charge the battery.

Eh? The wires from the RR shouldn't go anywhere near the starter motor / relay or switch!  3 yellow wires from genny direct to RR inputs. Output wires from RR - black to earth / chassis ground and red to battery! Original Suzuki wiring has a RR output wire to the light switch which is acknowledged as a really daft idea leading to poor lights and charging and defective RR's. Duff brand new batteries aren't unknown either - a good battery should spin a motor over for at least a minute! Hopefully you have a decent RR and not one of the chinese rip off one's from Eblag!

Hi Guys

Thanks so much for your help

Got the problem sorted and was shagged brushes in the starter motor. Now ticking over fine - almost endlessly.

I think I have fuel problems now............ runs sort of on # 3 and 4 cylinders (left to right)

#1 and 2 plugs seem dry but with good spark.

A couple of questions

I have an in line fuel filter from the main supply that seems half full - is this correct

Also how important is the fuel cock as was fairly corroded - it seems sometimes fuel is overflowing out the rear of the # 3 carby (airbox junction)

I dismantled and cleaned and improved a bit but am I correct in saying the vacuum supply hinges on the fuel cock being 100%

Photo below shows the project.............

Cheers and thanks again for your help

IMG_3990.jpg

• Like 1

My comment was a generalisation but it was partially said .........

The generator unfortunately (which has 2 wires connecting to the rectifier and 1 to the RH starter switch) 

The actual starter circuit ie. ign. sw. / starter button / starter solenoid shouldn't draw more than a few amps, whilst the heavy cable between battery / solenoid / starter motor carries over 100+ amps. Poor starter performance often due to loose connections / poor earths, but a clean out of a 40 year old motor isn't bad advice either!

ok, quick history lesson, back in the mist of time, suzuki in their infinite wisdom decided that having all three phases of the alternator charging the battery was too much, better idea, they thought to use two phases direct to reg rec, and the third phase should go through the headlight switch so that when you put the lights on, it got a boost. without going into too much detail, its a terrible idea! rewire all three ouputs from the alternator to the three identical coloured inputs on your reg rec, and just tape up thee wires that go to the headlight switch.

• Like 2