GS1000 Head Gaskets

gs7_11

The price of these is frightening now....£112 list price at Robinsons. :o

I picked up an old NOS Genuine gasket set from the US with one in it a while back, but it's got to be at least 30 years old, even though it looks in good nick. Should I use it? I'm just a bit on edge using a gasket that old that has rubber bits in it. Do head gaskets have a shelf life?

The other option is one of the MLS pattern ones from Suzuki Performance Spares at about £45. Can anyone recommend these?

Now this MLS business is new on me, but apparently they're really good, and don't need the rubber seals around the oilways and cam tunnel.

20190327_224304.jpg

On 3/28/2019 at 1:51 AM, Reelinfeele said:

Mls. Never buy another head gasket. 

They're reusable then?

I've been trying to find some information, and have found that gaskets do have a shelf life, but the manufacturers are a bit vague about it, and storage condition can affect it a lot. I know already that the rubber round the oilways has a lifespan, but it seems soft enough, so given I'm skint I'm going to use this gasket. 

No-one's come up with any horror stories to warn me off.

In my past life, in various jobs, old stock like this would deffo not have been used.

7 hours ago, gs7_11 said:

Like I said, £112 list price.

Plus postage, less discount.

CMS might have them cheaper but postage is more.

Their postage is pretty Royal :(

For me it is cheaper to get stuff from Germany sent to the Netherlands... Where i live and CMSNL is based.

When I need original stuff I order from https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/suzuki-spare-parts

You sometime need to use other sites to get the partnumber but that is not a problem. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blubber said:

Their postage is pretty Royal :(

For me it is cheaper to get stuff from Germany sent to the Netherlands... Where i live and CMSNL is based.

When I need original stuff I order from https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/suzuki-spare-parts

You sometime need to use other sites to get the partnumber but that is not a problem. 

Thank you so much for a great link.(y)

//Hasse.

• Like 1