Race battery

Rene EFE

Right, from next week forward, I'd like to get started with the build of a racebike. One of the wishes I have is having the battery where the alternator usually lives.

Important things; It needs to strong enough to start the engine a few times, it needs to be able to run for the best part of an hour, it needs to be light, and it needs to fit in the space I have in mind.

Anyone have any examples that would fit my criteria?

What size is yours Kristjan?

Standard battery for a WP, YTX12-BS. 180 cold cranking amps and weight 4.2 kg, I think it doesn't help you much. I'm riding it everywhere and want it to start every time, so I need a big one. A random battery from my friend's stock 1100 didn't start mine and I was on tight budget, so I just went and bought the best I could for €50.

Varta and Exide of the same type had 30 ampres less CCA and weighed 1.8 kg more for example.

I would go for a lithium battery if I was you and price is secondary. They are small, light and powerful.