Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Stuck valves on 1983 katana 650g on 2 cylinders any ideas for a fix other than  head off, frees itself now and again bike has stood for 10 years. I've changed oil and filter, when I laid her up I  put oil in the cylinders so the rings are free it's definitely the valves, difficult to start and popping from the exhaust.

Had valve cover off, 3 valves are so tight I can't get a feeler gauge under them I've got the shims out  2 of them are 2.60mm and 1 2.50mm I've put the 2.50 in 1 off the 2.60 slots and can get a 5mm feeler gauge so in tolerance, so now looking for 2 more 2.50 shims any suggestions the best suppliers.

8 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Had valve cover off, 3 valves are so tight I can't get a feeler gauge under them I've got the shims out  2 of them are 2.60mm and 1 2.50mm I've put the 2.50 in 1 off the 2.60 slots and can get a 5mm feeler gauge so in tolerance, so now looking for 2 more 2.50 shims any suggestions the best suppliers.

I have absolutely no idea what you just wrote, maybe it's just my head....

Robinsonfoundry seems like peoples 1 place to go to.

For the time it's going to take ... whip the head off! Things of this nature don't usually 'clear themselves', 'Sods Law' it'll catch you out! You could take the cams out, and try pushing/tapping the top of the valve stems. If the valve returns, that's not the problem, if it doesn't, it's either bent stem or corrosion, as said!

Edited by Swiss Toni