valve stem oil seal failure (b12)

370steve

Question for the great unwashed out in engine god land??

are there any faults that i should look for as to why my engine eats valve stem oil seals!!

when i first rebuilt the engine it was burning oil (OEM Suzuki), so i had the over bore done and among other things i changed all the stem seals. (not OEM Suzuki)

not long after that it started to smoke again, as i had to take the head off for other reasons i changed them back to standard OEM Suzuki.

towards the end of the summer she started to smoke again at start up, now i have the exhaust and carbs off i checked into the ports, all exhaust valves are dry, but from what i can see, at least four of the inlet valves are wet!!!

head will be coming off again to replace them, is there anything specific i should be looking at? or am i damaging them whilst assembling to valves?

all tips/ideas welcome

Query - absolutely stock head or have the valve guides been replaced? If the latter, they maybe to high and are getting clouted by the spring retainer - likewise if using a Higher lift cam - same effect. Not much else unless the guides are badly worn so valve stem is knocking them out? Lots of oil / assembly lube whilst fitting them - difficult to damage really unless seating them with a mallet!

• Like 1