750L cams worn out, valve seals

richyrich

What options are there to replace cams ?  Mine are horribly pitted , what about the followers and the rest of the bits down there.    

Is it a big job to change valve stem oil seals, what's involved ? 

I can't get the head off in the gs550 frame , it'd be easier to get another 3ngine maybe.  Handily I have a b12 lump, but no carbs or exhaust.

My bst38 s have that oval is ed tube thing and it runs really rich . Better to spend and fix them or start again with 36s . It's all relaxed road riding.  

It's doing well, but where to go next, cos its hard to keep enough oil in it ! Something is gonna change whether I like it or not I get the feeling.  

What do you guys think is best bang for buck with minimum hassle 

Cheers 

I had some bad wear on 750L cams when I bought the bike and wear on two followers.  Followers are cheap and easy to get hold of in good nick second hand and common to several models, so just bought the couple I needed.  The cams I sent off to Kent Cams and had them rehardened and ground to OEM spec.  Off the top of my head I think it cost me about £250.  I preferred that to buying another set of cams as the bike's a keeper and a second hand set might not have lasted in the long run, for the bit of extra outlay I've now got a set that will last.

Thanks guys,  remake the cams ! Great idea,  they could do them for less lift or whatever it is to give more midrange .  Without taking the motor out again .  Read that In theory I could fill the cylinder with string thru plug hole to hold the valves and remove the valve guide seals with engine in, sounds like so much bollix.   Anyone know how tight they're in there ?

Without the seals the valves will fall through, but I suppose if you did one cylinder at a time you could do it with the piston at tdc so the valves have nowhere to fall to? Your main problem would be compressing the valve springs to release the retainers... I have heard of a tool that allows this to be done with the head in situ but never seen it myself...

Personally would just take the head off, I don't like the thought of fiddling with valve retainer keepers right next to the cam chain tunnel :/ You could easily lose the time saved by leaving the motor in/head on in a cam chain tunnel fishing trip looking for the parts you dropped down there