Sign in to follow this  
busa1300

Long term VJ21 bitsa getting more bits

I bought this VJ21 as a side note to a package deal, when I bought my VJ22 SP about 5 years ago. The SP was my main focus, but I couldn't say no to a cheap VJ21 even though it was in poor condition. It is an Australian L version so it has the 34 Mikunis and better ignition. The frame looked good and had a clean tank inside....but everything else looked like it had no love for a long long time.

IMG_0491.JPG

I parked it in a corner in the garage and went to work on the SP. Then followed Yahoo actions for various bits for the VJ21 on occasion when searching for parts for the VJ22. I managed to get a set of VJ21 SP forks, RF600 3.5 front wheel, early 600 Katana/teapot drilled rotors.... and mounted them.

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_9643.JPG

The bike had set for untold years not running when I threw the front end parts on. So I figured before I spent any more money maybe I should see if the bike even runs. Pulled carbs and gave a good sonic clean, bottle fed it some gas and it fired right up. Then rode it up and down the road just for the hell of it.....no plates/title/lights.....just smoke :pimp:

Looked terrible but ran pretty good....

IMG_9698.JPG

IMG_9702.JPG

IMG_9707.JPG

• Like 2

Then later on I picked up a good set of rear bodywork, GSXR400SP swingarm, and a VJ22 rear wheel and rotor, when I imported my VJ23 in boxes. Then when I imported my RZV in, I had another VJ21 engine thrown into the crate to add to the collection of bits.

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

• Like 1

And just this week I picked up a set of competition Sugaya right side exit pipes....

I just need to get my RZV project moving along and the RGV will be up on the table next for a full on rebuild.

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, busa1300 said:

my RZV project

is that like a Jap-spec, aluminimum framed RD500? (yes/no)

Yes....     

Being a two stroke addict, I had to have a 4 cylinder stroker.....and a RG500 in similar condition is just too much money :(

And I didn't want a boat anchor steel frame, so I used my connection in Japan to get a home market aluminum version. 

Edited by busa1300