Long term VJ21 bitsa getting more bits

• 2 weeks later...

Going through all the parts I have bought, trying to see what I have forgot.
All new dry clutch plates, and the various oil seals that are needed. Powervalve cables, throttle cables, clutch cable, oil lines...and my new crank are already here.
I have a new list started, but I’ll get serious this weekend and try to make one last order.

32820B22-3521-414D-98D6-0FF0C2D8087C.jpeg

48847C99-5885-40C2-B11C-2A92C27393EC.jpeg

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 1
On 11/19/2020 at 5:42 AM, Blubber said:

Every time it surprises me that you can still get this stuff for your project.

Looks fresh too .. i mean.. not NOS stored for 30 years at a dealer.

Most of it appears that it is newly manufactured. I buy straight out of Japan, so I am guessing that is the biggest reason. Very happy that after 30 years these parts can still be bought, but have heard that Suzuki is going to be stopping the manufacture of many of these one off items soon. As the profit is not worth the effort, or storage and maintaining stock has too much expense...? Maybe it's because governments are threatening to go electric in 10 years? Making these illegal to use on the street....

So I need to hurry up on this damn project and get some use out of it real soon....!!! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The cylinders came without studs, and there were some other bits missing that I had to order.

Ordered from a company called Impex Japan....since I can not buy RGV parts here in the US. As soon as I saw the order was shipped, I started to get some of my powervalve linkage bits cleaned up to get cylinders together...and then realized the outer PV shaft bushings were gone.

SO...I had to make another order today for even more last minute bits.

Maybe by Christmas break I will have everything and have time to actually start bolting some of it together....finally :/

My Dyna coils showed up in the mail today. I checked with Borut from Zeel, and he said these should work very good with his ignition.

The stock coils are pretty low dollar items, and since I have thrown so much $$$ away on this already....do it right the first time.

2C9384A6-0188-4956-9A44-7915E8DEE915.jpeg

• Like 2

My trans bearings and cylinder studs as well as other parts I still needed, showed up Monday.

IMG_5127.JPG

So yesterday I started back up, where I left off about 10 months ago. Put the bearings in the case as well as bearings in the carrier. Also new flywheel bearings and waterpump seals and bearing. Put the trans back in the case and that was as far as I was able to get on Tuesday.

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5137.JPG

IMG_5138.JPG

IMG_5141.JPG

IMG_5142.JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 2

Then Wednesday I dropped in the crank and sealed that up. Put in a new waterpump seal and bearing, primary drive attached, and then the cover and clutch with all new plates/discs. Can't do much with the cylinders until my PV bushings show up, but I might put pistons in and check deck height.

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5158.JPG

IMG_5159.JPG

IMG_5161.JPG

IMG_5162.JPG

IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5164.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

• Like 3

I can almost see smoke at the end of the tunnel now. Mounted engine, but still waiting on PV bushings so I can put cylinders on. Might try and get some wiring done while I wait, as I need to see where I can fit my larger coils.

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5184.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 4

Mounted the Lectrons so I could finalize my choke and throttle cables. Modified a Mikuni fitting to use the RGV choke cable and the Lectron style plunger. Then I cut down two left side throttle cables to proper lengths to work with my distribution box that connects all cables to the TPS....and eventually my Zeel.

....so now the carbs work as if they were factory equipped, with plenty of room for adjustment.

CE35213B-A18B-4D9C-9AC4-517D4CA95FAB.jpeg

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 3

Started on my wiring today. Had to use a harness same basic year as engine, so I had to do some rearranging of where things went to get everything hooked up properly. Still need to make brackets for the bigger coils, but they will go in the same areas as original. Need to get a tether kill switch, and an on/off switch to replace ignition key.

EACEF010-CA4D-4DF9-A49C-A471B734B0EB.jpeg

• Like 1

Holiday is over and house is empty again, so I went out to the garage to finish putting my cylinders together since my PV bushing showed up. Mounted pistons onto the rods after I checked ring gap. Then I checked squish gap to make sure it was within spec. Put heads on then mounted my new upper PV cables and oil lines. Put the lower frame back on and torqued all the frame and engine mount bolts, then hooked up my lower PV cables. Loosely mounted my pipes on just so I could look at it for a bit, and imagine smoke rolling out of them.

Have been searching for almost a year for a set of kit baffles or Sugaya tin can baffles.....no luck, and time is running out. Have one good kit baffle, but the other was beyond any kind of use.... Anyone have a spare?

IMG_5382.JPG

IMG_5383.JPG

IMG_5384.JPG

IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

IMG_5398.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

Wiring is basically done with the new ignition system, and all the extra wiring and switches.....except I still need my quick shifter switch (not ordered it yet)
Turned the key and powervalves opened and closed as they should (although I still need to adjust them with the computer now)
And I kicked it over and have spark....so that part of the equation is finished (but I still need to program in the timing curves I want)
I have one switch to change powervalve curve, and one switch to change the timing curve, as the ignition can save 2 differing curves each. (pump gas/race gas)
The tether kill is wired into the hot side of the ignition, but I have a easy disconnect, and I can remove the kill wires and hook the the hot wires up to themselves when not racing.
Made a plate under the battery box to hold the wiring plugs going from harness to the ignition....trying to keep it as organized as possible.
Still looks like a maze under the tank.....good thing bodywork hides most of it....

Started by separating the wires with tubing, to keep things more understandable, then I cut to the length I thought I needed and put on the wire ends.

wiring zeel (13).JPG

wiring zeel (33).JPG

wiring zeel (12).JPG

wiring zeel (22).JPG

wiring zeel (25).JPG

wiring zeel (18).JPG

wiring zeel (27).JPG

wiring zeel (26).JPG

wiring zeel (6).JPG

wiring zeel (28).JPG

wiring zeel (1).JPG

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

After a year and a half of searching to find the baffles I wanted for this project....they finally showed up on Yahoo Japan auctions. Like new in the pics, but when I got them they were packed together and beat the hell out of each other.

Put in the freezer and got them close to normal....not the first time my heart has been broke from buying shit 4000 miles away.

733D9DF0-A225-4289-9661-0F1A49816082.jpeg

BCC0F133-2232-498A-8885-2CC81A85D4DC.jpeg

• Like 3