Bit of jetting advice, please?

scott-s

I'm still a ways off on this project, but it's never too early to start gathering parts and information.

The engine is from a '00 GSX750F Teapot. I picked up some BST 36 carbs from a '95 750 because I'm told they work better with pods. This combo is going in a 1980 GS550E frame, so I'll be forced to run the dual K&N filters (RU-2922). I have a Yoshimura muffler on the stock header (unless and until I can find a better header).

I'm well aware that dyno time will be needed. I'm looking for more of a baseline to start with and jets to have on hand for the dyno runs. I've been told that a Dyna Stage 3 jet kit oughta be pretty close. I've also heard that just going up 15-20% on the mains might do it.

Can you give me some suggestions for a good baseline, knowing that I'll fine tune it on the dyno?

'95 GSX750F carbs, BST-36, stock jets at the moment.

carbs2_zpspbdnq0jz.jpg

carbs_zpsn0fawpsa.jpg

K&N RU-2922 filters

KampN%20RU2922_zpsjspc2yeu.jpg

Yoshimura slip on

s-l1600_zpstar1bgzy.jpg

s-l1600%201_zps98stw5pb.jpg

Hey,

I picked up a track bike to use for some spares last year the guy that  built it up had a 99 GSXF 750 motor in it running TPS '99 BST36 carbs and K&N pod filters, with standard headers and a CBR muffler. I never rode it but by all accounts it went pretty well (for a track bike).

I did start it up and it idled and accelerated at stand still ok with no pops and farts.

It had #145 mains, (and if my 2x glasses and magnifying glass is accurate) #60 pilots Mikuni jets. The Needle was on the bottom row and it also had a washer under the clip.

Personally I wouldn't use the pre 97 carbs my experience really expensive to rebuild especially if you need to change the plastic slide guides which wear out in about 30,000klm, and I believe the castings deteriorate, break down as I broke the throttle holder part without much pressure at all (just my theory anyway).

If you need to rebuild them it's a better option to go aftermarket.

But since you've already got them once tuned up they work reasonably well

Just for interest

here a pic of worn and new slide guides They wear out as indicated here which then leads to accelerated needle and needle jet wear as well as closing up the bottom of the slide.

image.png.3283155a9423c3645381eede841cd3df.png

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies.

I sent DynoJet an email and am awaiting a response. Online, the kit (3130) is often listed as "Stage 1 and 3". Does that mean it comes with the components to do both stages, or do I need to specify?

I already have the '95 carbs. I got a good deal on them and they've been fully rebuilt to stock specs by my buddy Rick at Oldskoolcarbs. He's offered to help with supplying jets when I get to that point.

I haven't yet pulled a slide myself. Do the '95 carbs come with grooves for the needle clip?  I actually have some small washers for minor adjustments leftover from another project.

I'll pull a carb top/slide today and confirm that my carbs do (or do not) have adjustable needles. If so, and I already have a bunch of washers for making custom adjustments, would I be better off just getting a few jets and giving it what it needs? 

Or is the DynoJet ket the "easy button"?