Which brake calipers fit to standard katana forks

Gilfi

I'm looking to upgrade my brakes a bit on my Katana. I'm looking for calipers from a later model bike that will bolt straight on to the standard fork mounts with the standard disks.

Also any ideas on what kind of a caliper I could use to replace the rear caliper? Preferably an under-slung model that would also bolt straight on.

An option for later calipers could be nissin four pots from bandit etc  but you would need to make or have some adaptor plates made up. Early gsxr calipers might also be worth a look. Anything can be made to fit anything, depends what you require in terms of keeping it looking as close to standard as possible. Same again with the rear brake. Torque arm may require modifying or use the lock-in swingarm type and modify the swinger to accommodate. There's lots of possibilities out there. Someone will be along I'm sure who has carried out the same conversion.

Edited by Toecutter
  • 5 weeks later...

I have a set of TK caliper adapters, spacers, nuts n bolfs etc to use with kat forks and std discs. 4 pots with 90mm spacing. i dont have 50 posts so cannot sell on here at the moment. i took them off as i changed my frontend to a b12.

rear caliper ona kat is good though... i would maybe get some HH pads but other than that its a very good, albeit large, caliper.

It's clearance from the wheel and the back of the caliper that is the biggest challenge. Assuming you are running the standard snowflake wheels.

The modern nissin 4 pot from the H*onda CBR 600 F3 are a good bet. Measure the space from the back mounting point on the fork leg and the widest part of the wheel spokes and I'll tell you it will work. As I have a set of these calipers.

On 4/25/2018 at 1:23 AM, sparki said:

90mm spaced calipers will bolt onto an efe... so efe calipers won't therefore bolt onto a kat. a kat doesnt have 90mm spaced mounts

You're right. Was trying to think why I'd seen a set of EFE calipers on a Kat, and dug around for the pics - it had EFE forks too.

• Like 1
On 4/24/2018 at 7:22 PM, KATANAMANGLER said:

It's clearance from the wheel and the back of the caliper that is the biggest challenge. Assuming you are running the standard snowflake wheels.

The modern nissin 4 pot from the H*onda CBR 600 F3 are a good bet. Measure the space from the back mounting point on the fork leg and the widest part of the wheel spokes and I'll tell you it will work. As I have a set of these calipers.

the std nissin 90mm spaced calipers fitted on my snowflake wheels - there was a ball hair space between the caliper and the spoke mind but it never caused an issue... not sure if others would disagree but i never had an issue with them :) - i played with spacers a lot i recall to get it lined up ok

• Like 1