1216 and cam slotting

Solcambs

If my poor memory serves me correctly the standard centre lobe timing of a oil-cooled motor is 106/110 degrees. We had the engine on the bench today and checked the timing of the lobe centres at their highest point. It's a fiddly business measuring, but we reckon we were pretty accurate measuring 105/109 - so that corroborates well, Can anyone confirm my understanding that 106/110 is standard.

Given it's high compression Wiseco based build in a 1216 with some port tidying, and standard re-faced cams in an M/N motor, would it be worth slotting the cams?. Would anyone have any info about what timing works well with the 1216 high compression engine? Or should I quit worrying and just go with the 105/109? 

I'm beginning to wonder whether slotting the cams, would have much effect given we haven't reground just refaced? Would being at 105/109 actually be far enough away from stock as to notice it - or is there actually ground to be made in power or torque with stock refaced cams slotted to match a 1216 bore and porting.

Edited by Solcambs

Was 110/110 on std cams G1460 ? - just asking as I've used 105/105 and seemed to give good all round power with my std cams -  but if there's better to be had....... Think my cams were something like 103/104 originally, I pussied out from slotting my cam sprockets and paid for some adjustable ones, they're inching up in price now, £70 or so, I think I paid £60ish a little while back.

2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Std K cams in a 1186 motor. From memory the shorter numbers are good for torque and turbos, Those cams went back to stockish timing with my first turbo. Slotting sprockets is easy with access to a rotary table and a mill LOL!

Thanks G1460 - that's as I understand cam phasing too, advanced/smaller numbers = more torque below peak. I'll probably keep what I've dialled in, the 40mm CVs might not be as nice with more std numbers- but it would be good to have a play sometime. I did feel like I'd thrown away £60 when I bought the cam sprockets, especially as I bought two rotary grinders to do various jobs - hell. I've just bought a bandsaw on a whim ! - will be good for making spacers and stuff - online shopping is too easy.

Sorry Solcambs for butting in Bud...... sort of on subject though  (y)

• Like 1

I've opted to slot the cams up to 110 inlet and exhaust. We can then do some sweeps on the dyno and see what it does when it goes back together. I have so many unknowns at the mo ... 1216, FCR39s, standard (refaced)  M cams in a ported N head. I am of course assuming I can get to the cams when it's in the Kat 750 frame in-between dyno runs - probably not that easy to do. That an the fact actually measuring the damn things at max lift is problematic anyhow ... However, onward and upwards.

• Like 3

what a breath of fresh air seeing folks doing / discussing proper stuff on a bike forum :tu - I can imagine maybe 3 typical replies you would get on other ones

1) whats a sprocket or

2) ohh I wouldn't be doing that - all sorts of horrible things are going to happen if you do

3) cool - where can I also buy this cam timing you speak of 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, nlovien said:

what a breath of fresh air seeing folks doing / discussing proper stuff on a bike forum :tu 

Welcome to OSS .. I found this place right after I'd bought a box of bits. I was made instantly welcome, and I can honestly say without reservation, that this resource - or rather the amazing bunch of people who bother to read and respond to the posts on here, I'd probably:

• Not have RTFR
  • Be even more reliant on bought in expertise
  • Have made decisions but they would have been way less qualified by expertise and experience

Before OSS I reckon I was in a state of unconscious incompetence. I may very well have moved into a state of conscious incompetence, and hope to make it to the heady heights of conscious competence one day. 

Edited by Solcambs
  • Like 2