What's the difference in the different models?

Jpich85

Hi everyone in usually found in the water cooled section but after my new purchase today I'll be moving over so I hope I don't annoy everyone.

I just wanted to know if there was any information on the differences in the different models types of the gsxr 750 say 88 -91? I've got a 92 wn and after buying my new bike a 750 1990 there's a lot of difference in things like the thickness of the frame the tank etc.the guy I bought it off said that the previous year the 1989 was a much sought after bike and I wanted to know why? Here's a pic of my new beast :-).

Thanks

tmp_27560-20170825_193047-745224150.jpg

88-89 (J-K) is the first 750 Slingshot. Compact frame, RWU forks, 4,5" rear wheel, 748cc short stroke motor, 36mm carbs and 4-2 exhaust.

90 (L) got  5,5" wheel, UPSD forks, slightly larger frame, 749cc long stroke motor, 38mm carbs and 4-1 exhaust. Bodywork looks like (but is not the same as) J/K models.

91 (M) got small engine changes (mostly in the head), new front fairing and tailpiece with twin taillights. And a wider frame under the seat units.

92 (WN) became watercooled. Completely different bike, not many parts are interchangeable with the oilcooled ones.

The bike in your pic looks like an L (narrow seat unit, rear shock comp adjusting knob instead of screw on M models) with an M fairing installed (covered headlights).

• Like 2

hi jpich85, rf900 running and going like err, very nice shall we say! still need to tweek the carbs as still runng touch lean but needles are on second slot from top so will raise them the weekend. overtakes are funny,  whooosh! springs to mind! suzy will get a stripped down over winter to tidy her up but just enjoying her while the weather is good. not done many miles as i would have liked this year so putting on as many as i can in the mean time!

as for your new project, hmmmm, tis a hard decission. keep it standard or project? your bike so your choice, don't think anyone will complain either way.  tis all good .

them oil bikes are getting rarer day by day. but will keep a watch out which ever way ya go. it's going to be nice going by your first bike.!

Good to hear your out and about on it mate, mine is still a little rough and after riding the new gsxr today I can see how un tuned it is. I fell in love after that ride, I only insured it for the day to have a good and now I don't want to strip it down, it's so Smith and fun to ride and getting your head tucked down was great, I haven't rode like that before, I'm tempted now to sell the wn streetfighter and keep the oil cooler and use that money to buy a new project lol. Big decisions to make

haha. yeah, head down is a great feeling eh. 

NO, cant sell yer first project yet! sort it, have loads of fun on it, then  do it all again.  but seriouly it's going to be hard decisssion to make. tho i hope ya keep them both and just buy another one for a project.  if only it were that simple eh!.... I've got two morw projects sitting here waiting but still bought another! anon oss but it were cheap and i liked the colour.xD

Thanks madb, I've been thinking today I might do a restoration project on this one, strip it and rebuild it hopefully to a near New condition, I haven't done that before and could be a nice change for the headaches of custom work, I'll have to research tho and what parts to keep original but I guess all of it, I might have to get a parts cleaner and clean every bolt lol, its just so much fun I don't think I want to chop it up, some of the fairings are badly damaged so that'll be tricky then trying to match paint. I'll keep thinking tho for a bit

yes, could be the way to go. full restro. would be a great challenge.  you can buy paint kits that match your colours quite easily, and judging by your last paint job with cans you won't have any worries there! parts cleaner.. i use a large hard plastic type of tub big enough to fit a complete engine in. just so i have room for cleaning heads and the like parifin mix  with brake cleaner and a splash of petrol. works bloody well for degreasing. the petrol is added to cut the oiley coating the parifin and brake cleaner leaves. but you can pick up a new or second hand one cheap enough. oh and mine stand outside  with lid on. hate the smell of parifin!

So my bike has had newer fairings put on? @Captain Chaos I didn't realise mate, it's defo a 1990 as the v5, why would someone do that, do you think the tank is different too? It's had 11 owners it says on the v5 so who knows what they've done to it, it's got horrible indicators too lol,

thanks madb I'm not sure which way to go now, I love the handling of this bike so I could keep the riding position.

Edited by Jpich85