Firstly Hi secondly help

MrT

Hi to all thought it would be a good idea to join up having just bought a gsx750 f 1991.

Bought as a non runner as a bit of a project she came with a few known issues and several unknown ones too!

So after getting her running and discovering the bike has a breaker button reset thingy which caused me a few moments of puzzlement head scratching and swearing the electrics came to life, but i do not know where to connect the fuel sender unit where the wires come out of the bottom of the tank. I've had a look at a wiring diagram but it made my head hurt and my eyes bleed so I thought I would pick the brains of those who know what they are doing. I assume that these connectors should join to something coming from the fuel gauge. Put a couple of snaps on one of the bike and one of the sender unit wires and breather. Any help advice would be really welcome.

20170521_155205.jpg

20170521_165946.jpg

Hi bud. Welcome. I would think that the wires coming out of the tank will connect to the wiring loom and not go straight to the clocks. I would look for a connection in the loom that doesn't have anything plugged in. Then check the wiring diagram to see if it matches. 

Cheers for that I have found a couple of wires that appear to be right but dont have the same connections as the sender. Any how I have conneted it all up and as long as it doesn't stay live when the ignition is off it should be ok right?

Yup, it'll be fine, its the clocks that feed the sender power which themselves are powered by a switched live...... All orange wires are switched lives on Suzuki's, Red are permanant live, black whites are earths (-12v)

Edited by suzook12
  • Like 2

Thanks so much guys fuel gauge now working without killing the battery which is nice!

Second issue is the rear shock it is leaking oil and spring is a bit squishy, what options do I have here seen used ones on flea bay, a rebuild service and new ones the latter being way out of my budget. Are any other Suzuki shocks a direct bolt in replacement I notice Bandit rear shocks are cheaper used but do not have the piggy back oil tank does it matter. Sorry for ignorance and thanks for the help.

RF900 rear shock. Get a second hand one off that site, loads more adjustment, bolt's straight in an jacks it up a smidge for better more responsive handling ;) You can strap the reservoir to rear subframe by the seat lock.

Edited by teltwosheds
forgot to mention