GS shock length and angle

alexl

Just mocking up a GS frame with B12 swingarm and trying to work out where to position the lower shock mount. and need a bit of help with the standard shock lengths and the angle of the shocks. Will probably raise the rear a bit, but dont want to do anything too extreme. Thanks

Funnily enough, I was on the phone to Hagon yesterday about more or less the same thing. B12 arm into 1100 ET frame. I was needing to know std. ET shock length to position lugs on swinger for welding, which was 330mm between centres. Closed eye top - forked bottom end. 
Hagon will supply shocks closed eyes top & bottom in 10mm increments from 280mm - 370mm. Give him a call. Very helpfull guy!  (y) 

020 8502 6222

2 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Funnily enough, I was on the phone to Hagon yesterday about more or less the same thing. B12 arm into 1100 ET frame. I was needing to know std. ET shock length to position lugs on swinger for welding, which was 330mm between centres. Closed eye top - forked bottom end. 
Hagon will supply shocks closed eyes top & bottom in 10mm increments from 280mm - 370mm. Give him a call. Very helpfull guy!  (y) 

020 8502 6222

Thanks for that, will give them a call. Do you happen to know the angle of the rear shock in relation to the swingarm, just to try to get the bottom eye in the correct(ish) position.

Usd from a 91 gsxr M, but the discs are toast, looks like they have been attacked with a grinding disc. nothing else apart from slingshot discs seems to fit, but sticking with it as everything else seems okay. 5.5 with a 180 on the back seems to fit okay, need to brace the frame a bit and was thinking of shifting the top shock mount, but not sure now. standard 550 tank and tail, will make the seat base.

3 minutes ago, agemax said:

what else are you doing to beef up the motor? crank and clutch will need beefing up at least, running 740cc on a stock 550 crank is not adviseable.

I heard the crank is well over engineered and should be ok. But any advice on what to do would be good. Clutch is getting stronger springs. But again open to any advice on that too. It's all apart, so now is the time to make any changes. 

If you could get hold of a couple of  short (9" or so) 'Bottle Screws', you could fit them as substitute shocks, altering length/height to suit your needs as to angle/height of seat rails. Have a bit play. 'Owt's do-able with a bit fucking around! Having said that, I don't think you'll be too far out with Buff's 385mm! ;)