Removing studs

Ragerover

If you've tried everything else...try this. Heat case round base of stud, when hot, apply birthday cake candle to bottom of stud. Capillary action will  pull wax into threads. Let cool a bit, and try extracting stud from top of it. If it starts to twist, (and it might, if still tight), repeat process and grip at stud base. Patience is your friend!

• Like 1

If you can build a small wall around the base using putty and fill with diesel and let it soak for a few days, again patience is your friend on this method.

If you need a quicker fix weld a nut just above the case, this will give you something to get a better grip with and the heat should help loosen things up a bit.

Another method. Get some crisps and a coupla bottles San Miguel, sit the case on your knee, in front of 'Corra', or even 'Emmerdale'. Put a nut on the thread to protect it, and with a small(ish) hammer, tap the top of the stud until you hear the note change (or you lose the will to live). Sometimes works. Always drives the old lady mad!!!

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, #26Racing said:

Going through the same at the moment. I feel your pain, last 4 are being absolute naught words. Had the oxy acetylene on them yesterday and still they won't budge. Welded a couple of nuts on the studs for the next attempt...IMG_2568.JPGIMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

This was one I got out, it was tight to the last thread but the threads look good!

3 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Welding a nut down low seems a good idea. All the torque, right where it's needed. Looks like a good excuse for a pasting with anti-seize, or this Ceramic Grease everyone's talking about, on assembly!

Yeah, well we hit it big style with the size 25 nozzle but the molegrips were slipping. I popped to my mates garage and welded the nuts on but the weather was so bad I didn't have the heart to get my dad (who's 81 and has breathing difficulties) back out into the garage. So it'll have to wait for another day... Main thing was, it needed heat all the way to the last thread, and the one that came out was soooooo tight, it felt like it was going to snap.

Whatever you do, take your time and don't rush it.. You can see how much heat the two studs left have had to have with the colour of the casing. Now look at the one that's come out - a lot less. I can see these being a nightmare... I cleaned the other threads up with a m10 fine tap and will be copaslipping the threads before the APE studs go in

Simon