Gasket sealer

20 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

new gaskets are really cheap, i only ever use 3 bond ( yamabond)  on crankcase halves no where else.(y)

This. Use gasket sealant sparingly.

I stripped a 1216 race motor a couple of weeks back to inspect. The internals were still like new fortunatly, but the oil pick-up was 75% blocked with excess gasket sealant.

The Yamabond/Threebond stuff is supposed to behave in such a way that any excess doesn't block oil ways or pick ups.

10 hours ago, dupersunc said:

This. Use gasket sealant sparingly.

I stripped a 1216 race motor a couple of weeks back to inspect. The internals were still like new fortunatly, but the oil pick-up was 75% blocked with excess gasket sealant.

The Yamabond/Threebond stuff is supposed to behave in such a way that any excess doesn't block oil ways or pick ups.

30K mile 1127 powerscreen engine that had never been apart all original gaskets on the cases, pristine oil pump strainer :tu

DSCF8891_zps2388ef13.jpg

DSCF8890_zpsb8acf84d.jpg

Same strainer out of a 1216 big bore drag race motor that came from a so called "Tuner" a few years ago  

I wouldn't let him tune my piano,:o

DSCF8163.jpg

Edited by fatblokeonbandit
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, bluedog59 said:

Threebond 1104 is good stuff. Eblag 151612955958

I suggested the Threebond as I assumed you were talking about crankcase halves. I wouldn't use sealant on a normal gasket, I just use a thin smear of grease as I think helps the gasket seal and gives you more chance of it being good to reuse if you have to do a Sunday strip down.

A thing to remember with sealant is,

If you can see it squelching out the joint, you can bet the same amount will have gone inwards into the engine. 

• Like 2