Help needed identifying emulsion tubes

Nelson

1 minute ago, matt said:

I've been running them since 2011, probably done about 8000 miles with no problems.

I do have factory pro needles fitted, but it looks like you're going to need some new needles if you want to fit them. 

Pretty sure you had dynojet needle jets and needles Nelson, so as Matt says, you'll obviously need Mikuni needles to suit - I expect your main jets are dynojet too, you can't use them either, they're calibrated on size of hole rather than flow rate like Mikuni ones. It's the reason I stumped up the cash to buy a Factorypro kit , they only use Mikuni jets, so you can buy spares etc - the critical piece of the kit is the jet needle, FP would've spent many, many hours selecting the correctly shaped needle, it's a much different taper to my standard 1100 one.

Matt, Oily

Sorry about this, but, just to make sure I'm not being stupid or numb:

You changed your emulsion tubes with holes.

For tubes with no holes & changed the needles & set it up.

Man, that sounds mad ! ! ! 

Ok, so I could have some kind of carb kit, jet, needle jet & jet needle kit fitted to them already.

If I use these mad emulsion tubes, change the needles for new Dynojet or Factory-pro needles & dyno it, Roberts your fathers brother.

It  would have Mikuni tubes, Mikuni jets & new needles from Dj or Fp.

Ok, I'm gona give it a go.

Thanks fellas, I'll keep you posted.

The needles will have to be either Mikuni or Factory Pro, Dynojet ones will probably be the same as what you currently have and wont fit the new tubes.

Out of interest, why are you changing the tubes, are they worn out?

If the carbs have currently got a DJ kit fitted, I'd see how they run, then maybe stick some new bits in.

Hi Beam

The emulsion tubes in the carbs look the same as the ones on the right.

The needles that came out of the carbs look like the one on the left.

That would make them Dynojet emulsion tubes with Mikuni needles.

Is that right ?

Cheers for the pictures Beam.

Matt

I got the bike as a basket job.

It has  mildly tuned engine from back in the day.

It came with 40mm carbs & an adapted Pipercross car air filter.

It's been an 'experience' getting it running right.

I know, put the airbox back on.

So for it's final setup at the dyno, I thought I'd spend the money & set off with all new internals.

But the 40s are way big & all the smart money says use 38s.

So I got a set of 38s, from a standard 750M & I figured to save time, money & hassle I would replace all the bits that could wear & then I would have a good starting point & a good base line. Also, keep my dyno man happy.

However finding the correct replacement bits is also an on-going 'experience'. 

I could have bough a CX 500 cafe racer & grown a top knot, unfortunately though, I'm a bald.

Hey, ho.

That's where I'm at.

• Like 1

I have dug out my original needles from the 38mm 750 carbs and they have 6ZD7 stamped on them, which matches up with the manual.

Here's a picture of one of them, they are a bit worn, but they appear to have more of a taper than the ones in Beams picture, it may just be the light.

Even with all the hassle, its better than riding a CX 500 :)

IMG_20161002_132633217.jpg